Question My resolution is locked!pls help

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
So I connected my laptop to two monitors one using HDMI and the other using VGA, the monitors did recogonise it but for some reason, I got black lines and the resolution was locked to that. I did try to go to settings and change it but the resolution was good but it didn't work? Any solutions?

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
When you say black lines what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean black bars on the left and right off the screen, with the image displayed properly in between them? If so, is the monitor widescreen?

Are you saying both monitors are displaying with black lines (bars) or just one?

Side note, it'd probably help to list the make and model of the monitors and other relevant hardware like video card and laptop model for a question like this.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
When you say black lines what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean black bars on the left and right off the screen, with the image displayed properly in between them? If so, is the monitor widescreen?

Are you saying both monitors are displaying with black lines (bars) or just one?

Side note, it'd probably help to list the make and model of the monitors and other relevant hardware like video card and laptop model for a question like this.
yea there are black screens on the left and right of the screen on both of the monitors
My laptop is a dell and I am not sure what exactly it is but these are the specs
intel core i5 vpro
8gb ram
intel hd 600 I guess
and a dell 24 inch monitor and idk the exact name

The APU graphics of a Laptop are , unless there is a dedicated RTX or whatever installed, are never going to be able to fill the Pixels of 2 !!! external screens. The Intel graphics are meant to run the laptop display and that`s it, it does not have the engine to run external monitors at any reasonable rate or resolution. Also the CPU will have an issue having to render at some stage too. You are asking a Laptop to do something it was not built for.

Are the 2 screens for office work, general internet..... please don't say gaming......

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
The APU graphics of a Laptop are , unless there is a dedicated RTX or whatever installed, are never going to be able to fill the Pixels of 2 !!! external screens. The Intel graphics are meant to run the laptop display and that`s it, it does not have the engine to run external monitors at any reasonable rate or resolution. Also the CPU will have an issue having to render at some stage too. You are asking a Laptop to do something it was not built for.

Are the 2 screens for office work, general internet..... please don't say gaming......
yes it is for office but it is my mom's, and btw I could extend the screen before but now it is not working

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
Without knowing the model number/name it's hard to determine exactly what the specifications are. Have a look at this article: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000023781/graphics.html

If the two monitors you're trying to use have different resolutions then you'll be stuck at the resolution of the lowest common denominator. eg: if one has 1280x1024 and the other 1920x1200 they'll both display as 1280x1024. And bear in mind the different connection types (HDMI/VGA) have different maximum resolutions too (see the article above).

My best guess would be that the monitor(s) has a higher resolution than the laptop screen so it's being limited to the lower resolution. Which results in you getting black bars. You can try following the suggestions here: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000023765/graphics.html

edit: Meant to add - what version of windows are you using? In windows 10 display settings there is an option relating to multiple displays and you can pick duplicate or extend (you should pick extend).

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Without knowing the model number/name it's hard to determine exactly what the specifications are. Have a look at this article: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000023781/graphics.html

If the two monitors you're trying to use have different resolutions then you'll be stuck at the resolution of the lowest common denominator. eg: if one has 1280x1024 and the other 1920x1200 they'll both display as 1280x1024. And bear in mind the different connection types (HDMI/VGA) have different maximum resolutions too (see the article above).

My best guess would be that the monitor(s) has a higher resolution than the laptop screen so it's being limited to the lower resolution. Which results in you getting black bars. You can try following the suggestions here: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000023765/graphics.html

edit: Meant to add - what version of windows are you using? In windows 10 display settings there is an option relating to multiple displays and you can pick duplicate or extend (you should pick extend).
I am using windows 10

You are a teen and you have many questions, we understand that. Some of them are for issues with stuff you own. The rest are either for stuff you wish you owned or general questions that a bit of Google search would have answered. If you want to start a discussion it's better to mark the thread as such.
Claiming to be the best at tech in a tech forum that you have flooded with questions is at least ironic. I am not trying to be offensive, I am trying to make you understand that you do not know a lot of things and it's ok. You will learn. Use this forum wisely and not for each and every thing that pops in your mind every 5 seconds because if you keep doing it, people will stop answering.

Now for your issue. You said it was working before. Did it work with 2 monitors or just one? Did you try with other cables?

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
You are a teen and you have many questions, we understand that. Some of them are for issues with stuff you own. The rest are either for stuff you wish you owned or general questions that a bit of Google search would have answered. If you want to start a discussion it's better to mark the thread as such.
Claiming to be the best at tech in a tech forum that you have flooded with questions is at least ironic. I am not trying to be offensive, I am trying to make you understand that you do not know a lot of things and it's ok. You will learn. Use this forum wisely and not for each and every thing that pops in your mind every 5 seconds because if you keep doing it, people will stop answering.

Now for your issue. You said it was working before. Did it work with 2 monitors or just one? Did you try with other cables?
ok I will

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
If you are using duplicate screens and not extended screens then all of the screens will be locked at a single resolution. If the displays are different resolution they will have black bars.
ok but before everything was perfect but it started black bars after I connected my ps3 to it.
And I did extend the screen

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
Can you just give us some more information to work with;

What resolution does Windows say it's running? (For each display).

You need to find the models for the monitors and laptop so we can work out what the maximum resolutions for them are. The model number for the monitors will almost always be printed on a label on the back. As for the laptop, it may have a similar label, otherwise you'd need to figure out what is was.

Do you have the Dell monitor drivers installed in Windows? If you don't it'll say something like "Generic PnP monitor" instead of "Dell model whatever".

Just how many displays are you running? It sounds like you've got the laptop screen and two monitors all running off the laptop is that right?

As for the PS3 statement - What are you saying you connected the PS3 to? And what connection did you use (eg: HDMI)?

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Can you just give us some more information to work with;

What resolution does Windows say it's running? (For each display).

You need to find the models for the monitors and laptop so we can work out what the maximum resolutions for them are. The model number for the monitors will almost always be printed on a label on the back. As for the laptop, it may have a similar label, otherwise you'd need to figure out what is was.

Do you have the Dell monitor drivers installed in Windows? If you don't it'll say something like "Generic PnP monitor" instead of "Dell model whatever".

Just how many displays are you running? It sounds like you've got the laptop screen and two monitors all running off the laptop is that right?

As for the PS3 statement - What are you saying you connected the PS3 too? And what connection did you use (eg: HDMI)?
yeah So my laptop and one of my monitor says 1920 x 1080 and my laptop has another resolution.
like 1366 x 768 and that is the maximum I get
I did use hdmi for ps3