My rig is unstable; frequent software crashes, BSODs

Blackhammer20

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hello, I have a problem with my PC. It's been happening ever since I built it 3 years ago. By now I am fed up with the constant stability issues.

CPU: i5-4570 3.20GHz
RAM: 8 Gigabytes, Goodram
GPU: GTX 1060 3 GB
MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
128 GB SSD for the system files and 512 GB HDD for the rest

Problem: frequent crashes of software (video games, mostly) and BSODs, a BSOD a day with a software crash every ~2 hours is the norm

Tried: system file scanner, looking for bad RAM sectors, updating my MOBO drivers (this actually helped A LOT, it was unusable before that), getting a new GPU (just an upgrade, not trying to solve the problem, and it did not change anything)
I should mention this rig used to run on Windows 7 with the same stability issues
Temperature seems to be normal, I ran some tests

Please advise

Blackhammer20

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

There codes isn't always the same, it's a different one almost every time. I can write it down next time I have a BSOD. Apologies for not doing so before. Just had another crash of a game, don't know when a BSOD might happen.

To clarify: you are running enterprise software as a single license on a personal PC?

Blackhammer20

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Yes, that is correct.

you should just put the windows diagnostic memory dumps on to a cloud server like Microsoft onedrive, share the files for public access so that they can be looked at with a windows debugger.

otherwise, a generic answer will be: update the motherboard bios, update the motherboard drivers, reinstall the GPU graphics drivers from the vendors website reboot and see if you can still get a bugcheck.

it is hard to guess what to tell you to do, the bugcheck code generally has a error code as the first parameter. it can be very useful. a memory error comes from the windows memory management and may refer to many components: RAM, CPU ram, cpu cache ram, driver store compression, and virtual memory storage to disk (pagefile.sys) (and maybe readyboost) each type of memory error had a different cause and solution. It can also refer to corruption of data in memory due to bad drivers, malware, and bad memory timings (from bios or overclock drivers).