My rig just surged maybe? (Odd smell, random reebot, popping sound) - I need some advice/guidance/

Jakob_024

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
I'm not completely sure what happened, but I have an HP Omen 870-244 PC (Not laptop- the big bad boy himself, lol) w/ an i7-7700 and GTX 1070 8GB.

So I was browsing the internet, and started watching a VOD on twitch.tv. All of a sudden my computer sounded like it got smacked on the outside of the case, and it reset. It didn't shut off, it reset. I'm assuming it was a power surge and the popping was similar to the loud sound you'd hear like when you incorrectly disconnect a guitar from an amplifier, or you yank an amplifiers outlet out while it's on.

I got a little worried right then, but I crapped my pants when I started smelling this odd smell. It had just reset so I immediately shut it off. I didn't even log in after the reset. I immediately contacted HP support because I have an active warranty.

The chat rep told me to go ahead and boot it up and asked if it was making any loud sounds. It was quiet as a mouse. He then told me to check my browser and some apps.. so I loaded up the browser, and then loaded up PUBG. Everything was fine except for one really weird thing. PUBG and all my games always automatically pull up NVIDIA Experience Overlay and an FPS coutner, but this time the counter wasn't pulling up and pressing alt + z wasn't doing anything. I am worried about my GPU, except the game was still running exceptionally smooth and from experience I was definitely in the upper 100s (FPS-wise). Anyways, I told the rep that the apps and browser were running smooth and there was no loud noise. He told me to continue to use the PC and if anything happens per warranty I can have it serviced.

Does any of this strike you guys as weird? I read online about a few people who had an issue like this with the loud pop and the unit shutting off, however most of those cases were met with issues such as not being able to turn the PC back on afterwards. Right now, I am being optimistic and considering myself lucky and hopefully no damages happened.

So, what does everyone think? I really hope that nothing is wrong, and that if it is my warranty will cover it. I have not OC'd or anything.. the only optimizations I've made with the PC itself is within the NVIDIA Control Panel and the games files. I haven't even added my SSD yet, in fear of messing the PC up lol. I love this thing, and I know if it breaks majorly right now I would be in a bad time to have to buy new parts... I just had my cars transmission rebuilt so I'm not doing so hot on cash right now.

But anyways, just let me know your opinions, and give me some advice on how I should treat the situation. For now, I am just going to continue to use it, until I am presented with a bigger issue. I wish I knew what caused the power of the PSU to surge like that.. but I am not advanced in those types of things, lol.

EDIT: I may have a tad bit of paranoia, and I think the "Smell" that I was smelling was one of my girl's new candles and a cup of coffee. It's hard to tell what exactly I smelled at the moment, but I keep thinking that I am still smelling it, but it is in fact her candle. So I may or may not have smelled something funny at the time of the reboot/surge/weird pop.

If it is indeed a blown capacitor and you can identify what type/specifications you could replace it yourself with a soldering gun.

Of course only do so if you know how to solder correctly or else you risk damaging the motherboard, graphics card or yourself.

InvalidError

Titan

The lowest quality capacitors are usually in the PSU, so I'd give that a good shake to see if anything falls from its vents.

Sorry missed that.

Don't do any soldering or you risk voiding your warranty.

It still warrants a visual check so you can tell / show the hp technician anything that looks odd.

Jakob_024

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Thanks for all the quick responses! So just to clarify: I will not be breaking my warranty by opening up this PC? I never really thought that it would because I figured it was allowed to install additional components into the PC.

Also, is it possible that nothing has happened at all? I just edited my OP as I think that I could have possibly got the unidentified smell from a candle that's about 3 meters from me. Lol. Do you still think I should open it up and inspect it.. I've never opened a PC up before so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Like I said, everything is still running perfectly smooth. I booted up PUBG and was getting great performance. I even ran a pretty decent length test on it (as I survived for quite awhile.)

InvalidError

Titan
Opening the case shouldn't void the warranty as it is necessary for cleaning so the system doesn't die from dust build-up and, as you already wrote, also to add or upgrade components which is one of the main reasons many people still buy PCs.

What you are looking for after a 'bang' is an electrolytic capacitor (tiny aluminum cans) that has exploded. Some blow their top open, others have their metal body fly right off the capacitor itself, leaving the electrodes and dielectric roll behind.

Jakob_024

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Thanks for your response! I've never opened a PC up before, but seems like it should be easy enough to find what I need to be looking for... so basically- the damage should be obvious. Something burnt, or exploded. I'm hoping I'm lucky and there is no damage xD.

I'll report back today. I'll be opening it up here in a bit.

Jakob_024

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am going to put some pictures up of the MOBO. I don’t see any damage anywhere. There is no burn marks, no exploded capacitors, and no smell.. I think I may not have smelled anything. At all. I think it was an odd candle my woman was burning aha.

Jakob_024

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

I couldn't find anything.. take a look for yourself and make sure I'm not missing anything.. if you don't mind- other than anything that looks burnt or "exploded" I've no idea what I'm look at/for.

http://tinypic.com/r/2llldvp/9

http://tinypic.com/r/30uzbww/9

http://tinypic.com/r/2uymviw/9

http://tinypic.com/r/2i8hrua/9