Question My router is disconnecting every 2 hours ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 20, 2024
I see IPv6, which tends to be more problematic with some software. One of your screenshots also showed IPv6 is temporary. On your computer you might try an experiment: Disable IPv6. This is not usually a problem on any LAN (if you had an Internet facing IP then it would matter).

EDIT: In other words, use only IPv4.
i did, i even disable dhcp on router i don't even know it's work or not actually, how to use only ipv4? thanks in advance

Last edited:
May 20, 2024
All you can do is try it. It is very strange that the router says 1 day but your pc says 2 hrs. It does seem to match the symptom you are seeing. Again this is just hiding the problem you do not know why DHCP is not working correctly.
already did change my ip, waiting right now, if it's still have the problem maybe i need to change my device

May 20, 2024
All you can do is try it. It is very strange that the router says 1 day but your pc says 2 hrs. It does seem to match the symptom you are seeing. Again this is just hiding the problem you do not know why DHCP is not working correctly.
hey... i don't know what i just do but seems the lease now exactly 1 week
i disable the ipv6 since the ipv4 still disconnected i was wondering what if i turn it back on and set ipv6 ip manually instead, i don't know what happen or it's fix now but the lease time is 1 week now also, on the ipconfig/all the DHCP Enabled is Yes now, before that was No

Last edited:
From the little I can find that means you are losing the connection with the cell tower.

We might have gotten side tracked by the DHCP stuff. Although I am not 100% sure on that huawei router I am going to bet you do not lose your connection to the router itself. You can confirm this by opening a CMD window and leave a constant ping to 192.168.8.1 (this from what you have previously posted is your router lan IP address). You should not see ping loss even when the router gets one of those log messages.

What I suspect is the ISP has something set in their network to drop the connections after 2 hrs. I guess it depends on if it reconnects automatically or you have to do something. What happens to say netflix when this happens does it just stall and then continue after some time. Online game obviously will be greatly impacted.

It is all going to depend if you can get the ISP to admit they have some 2hr policy and then see if there is any way to change it. You might have to change ISP. It is not likely a issue with the router...unless the ISP has loaded a strange configuration.

Reactions: NotOnline
May 20, 2024
From the little I can find that means you are losing the connection with the cell tower.

We might have gotten side tracked by the DHCP stuff. Although I am not 100% sure on that huawei router I am going to bet you do not lose your connection to the router itself. You can confirm this by opening a CMD window and leave a constant ping to 192.168.8.1 (this from what you have previously posted is your router lan IP address). You should not see ping loss even when the router gets one of those log messages.

What I suspect is the ISP has something set in their network to drop the connections after 2 hrs. I guess it depends on if it reconnects automatically or you have to do something. What happens to say netflix when this happens does it just stall and then continue after some time. Online game obviously will be greatly impacted.

It is all going to depend if you can get the ISP to admit they have some 2hr policy and then see if there is any way to change it. You might have to change ISP. It is not likely a issue with the router...unless the ISP has loaded a strange configuration.
yes, i do play online game because of the disconnection i always got ban let alone i'm doing livestreaming
i don't know what i just do but seems the lease now exactly 1 week
i disable the ipv6 since the ipv4 still disconnected i was wondering what if i turn it back on and set ipv6 ip manually instead, i don't know what happen or it's fix now but the lease time is 1 week now also, on the ipconfig/all the DHCP Enabled is Yes now, before that was No, right now ipv4 and ipv6 is auto

May 20, 2024
Your LAN side's long term DHCP lease or fixed IP won't help if the router itself has difficulty maintain it's connectivity while trying to renew it's WAN IP from the tower.
so it's not fixed yet? im fine if the renew time every 1 week it's gonna disconnected that time right? the problem before is the router always losing connection every 2 hours and i found out it was the lease time, and now the lease time is 1 week, but i don't know is it fixed yet... thanks in advance.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
WAN side and LAN side both has it's own lease time setting.

Apparently your ISP set it to 2 hours for the WAN side which you absolutely have no control so you can't change that.

Although you can control how long the lease time on the LAN side and if have no connectivity issue, you still will be disconnected if the WAN side has problem. That will be obvious, right?

May 20, 2024
WAN side and LAN side both has it's own lease time setting.

Apparently your ISP set it to 2 hours for the WAN side which you absolutely have no control so you can't change that.

Although you can control how long the lease time on the LAN side and if have no connectivity issue, you still will be disconnected if the WAN side has problem. That will be obvious, right?
So now my problem is my isp? I'll try to contact them again, if no solution then change isp it is, too bad that is the best isp on my place.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
@NotOnline

Also run and post the full results of the current "ipconfig /all" configuration.

There is really nothing sensitive there. If the host name can be used to identify you then redact that.

Some people consider the Physical Addresses as a risk. Not really a concern. Can be helpful to identify the devices's manufacturer if not readily known.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

The information provided by ipconfig /all is commonly used for troubleshooting.

And with respect to the router: who has full admin rights?

May 20, 2024
@NotOnline

Also run and post the full results of the current "ipconfig /all" configuration.

There is really nothing sensitive there. If the host name can be used to identify you then redact that.

Some people consider the Physical Addresses as a risk. Not really a concern. Can be helpful to identify the devices's manufacturer if not readily known.

FYI:

Thanks for the answer right now i'm not near my pc, i will post it later.
Sorry about that i thought that is important stuff that people talk about since i'm not good with this stuff.

You mean who control the router? I'm sorry i don't understand this kind of stuff but i'm the only one who used the router.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024
OK. I missed that. So it's their problem. Ask them to send you a new router.
@NotOnline

FYI:

still no respond from them, and yes my internet still disconnecting every 2 hours
for the full ipconfig image here it is also when i run full constant ping it says 192.168.8.1: Destination Net Unreachable when it disconnected. what if i use another gsm isp and it get disconnected every 2 hours too?

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
It's possible that when the time that router trying to renew wan ip and it failed, then it did a hardware reset, so you lose the connection on the lan side too.

If your isp can't solve the issue, return the hwawei router. Buy a different brand/model 4G/5G router and switch to another isp.

May 20, 2024
It's possible that when the time that router trying to renew wan ip and it failed, then it did a hardware reset, so you lose the connection on the lan side too.

If your isp can't solve the issue, return the hwawei router. Buy a different brand/model 4G/5G router and switch to another isp.
okay, thanks!
i'm trying another gsm isp on same router since it all isp unlock, i'll be back if it's still disconnected every 2 hours or not, if it's still happen then it's meant the isp is the problem right?

In the long run even if you get the disconnect fixed mobile broad band has lots of issues with online games.

Even if it does not disconnect the load on a cell tower changes as cars drive by changing the total bandwidth being used. In many cases it is not just 1 cell tower multiple cell towers talk back to a main cell tower that actually has a fiber connection. With the load on the tower constantly changing you will see lots of lag spikes in your game play. It will most times not be bad enough to disconnect but at times it will make some games not very playable. Can't do much when you have no option for a wired internet connection to your house but set your expectations properly. "Mobile" broadband very much favors the ability of devices to move between cell towers over speed and latency.

May 20, 2024
In the long run even if you get the disconnect fixed mobile broad band has lots of issues with online games.

Even if it does not disconnect the load on a cell tower changes as cars drive by changing the total bandwidth being used. In many cases it is not just 1 cell tower multiple cell towers talk back to a main cell tower that actually has a fiber connection. With the load on the tower constantly changing you will see lots of lag spikes in your game play. It will most times not be bad enough to disconnect but at times it will make some games not very playable. Can't do much when you have no option for a wired internet connection to your house but set your expectations properly. "Mobile" broadband very much favors the ability of devices to move between cell towers over speed and latency.
The problem now is disconnected exactly every 2 hours, i prefer lag spikes than disconnecting in the middle of playing the game since they can ban me if i didn't join back faster, there is no lag spikes though, new ipconfig/all, seems now i can see the ipv6 lease time
i tried other gsm isp no disconnected at all after 2 hours.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What is meant by "gsm isp" (from above in "what if i use another gsm isp and it get disconnected every 2 hours too?")

= = = =

Is it certain that the router's IP address is 192.168.8.1?

If you open a browser and type 192.168.8.1 does a prompt appear requesting the router's admin login name and password?

Do you have the admin login name and password? Are you able to enter that admin login name and password to access the router's management screens.

Remember that a factory reset changes the login and other router configuration settings to the default values.

ipconfig shows that the PC is requesting an IP address via a router/gateway at 192.168.8.1 and that the lease time is one week.

Just what to ensure that the router's IP address is correct.

May 20, 2024
What is meant by "gsm isp" (from above in "what if i use another gsm isp and it get disconnected every 2 hours too?")

= = = =

Is it certain that the router's IP address is 192.168.8.1?

If you open a browser and type 192.168.8.1 does a prompt appear requesting the router's admin login name and password?

Do you have the admin login name and password? Are you able to enter that admin login name and password to access the router's management screens.

Remember that a factory reset changes the login and other router configuration settings to the default values.

ipconfig shows that the PC is requesting an IP address via a router/gateway at 192.168.8.1 and that the lease time is one week.

Just what to ensure that the router's IP address is correct.
Ah my mistake, i mean sim card, since my router is using sim card to use the internet, i did use other isp sim card and everything is fine without disconnecting

yes i have i'm the one who setting it, yes i can access the router management

i did several times factory reset, it still disconnecting every 2 hours

yes but i still disconnecting every 2 hours even though the lease time every 1 week.
now the ipv6 is saying lease time expired is 2 hours