Question My Router does not connect to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2019
Hello,

I have a problem with my router (TP-Link, model: TL-WR841ND)

So I am a student who lives in a dormitory - we get the internet from the university and I guess this is the reason why I need to use a static ip;

Anyway, I have given some information I received by mail; I got the following information:

IP: 10.xxx.xx.29
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.xxx.xx.254
DNS1: 10.xxx.xx.53
DNS2: 129.xxx.x.1

Now I first just connected my computer directly with a cable to the internet socket and followed the explanation in the link and it worked easily; But now I realized I have a spare router and so I decided to use a router to connect to the internet and then use the wifi from the router;

So I tried exactly to reproduce the result;

I first reset the router - afterwards I chose "network->WAN" and then selected static IP and entered the data that was given to me;

Afterwards I chose a name for the wifi and a password and I thought everything is going to work now;

However, I do not get any internet - it simply is not working; I then searched the settings of the router and chose "security" and disabled all kinds of stuff I thought could interphere with it (firewall, vpn, alg) but it doesn't work;

However, when I plug the lan cable in my computer it immediately works super smooth - this makes me extremely frustrated;

Anyone an idea?

Last edited:
WiFi routers are quite picky and if it was already connected to a different network they can be a pain to work with a new one. I would try to get it to factory defaults. To do that unplug the router and press in the reset button (usually you need a paperclip to get at it) for 10+ seconds then release it and plug it in and do the setup.

May 9, 2019
Okay do another reset and then just enter the data of the static ip and then hope it works? I am no native speaker so with rogue you mean not secure? So I shall check for options like RA and IT POC and enable it?

May 9, 2019
You mean changing it back to auto on my computer itself, right? Here I already chose that; I only chose the static IP for the lan cable but not for the wifi - also it doesn't workt to connect my phone to the wifi from the router as well; With the computer I can connect but it shows me that I have no internet;

With my phone I cannot connect to the wifi telling me "Failed to obtain IP address"

May 9, 2019
Yes it is, I write what is written there:

Start IP: 192.168.0.100
End IP: 192.168.0.199
Address Lease Time: 120 minutes
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Default Domain: nothing written there
Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

May 9, 2019
So I changed dhcp to:

Start IP: 192.168.0.100
End IP: 192.168.0.199
Address Lease Time: 120 minutes
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Default Domain: nothing written there
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS: 192.168.0.1

But it did not work..

May 9, 2019
Okay, so it is their problem? Yeah I already asked them yesterday but received no answer so far and probably will not before Monday; Anyway, thank you so muh for trying top help and when I've found the solution I will clarify here the problem that occured

Cheers

May 9, 2019
I solved it - although I am not sure if this leads to problems;

So first of all: You were right, the mac address was not authorized and probably therefore it did not work - what I did to solve it;

1. Find out the MAC adress of my computer (where it worked)
  2. Used the Option MAC Clone and entered in the field: WAN MAC Address the MAC address of my PC and boom it worked;

However, this confuses me quite a bit to be honest; I don't know too much of this stuff but I thought a MAC-address is supposed to be unique and it is possible to identify a device with it? Therefore, I thought it is not possible to change it?

Does it now lead to a problem if both, my router and my PC have the same MAC address?

May 9, 2019
I think so - maybe the last time when I connected my PC to the computer the MAC address was unlocked within a couple of minutes because I was lucky and therefore I did not realize it back then;
Anyway, now it works;

But may I ask: If I go to the router settings and enter the MAC-address of my PC in the field 'WAN MAC Address ' then I change the MAC address of my router, right?
But I tought a MAC address is unique and helps to identify devices? How can I change it that easily? Will this lead to problems?

So far I already connected my laptop and my phone to the wifi network - works perfectly

I think so - maybe the last time when I connected my PC to the computer the MAC address was unlocked within a couple of minutes because I was lucky and therefore I did not realize it back then;
Anyway, now it works;

But may I ask: If I go to the router settings and enter the MAC-address of my PC in the field 'WAN MAC Address ' then I change the MAC address of my router, right?
But I tought a MAC address is unique and helps to identify devices? How can I change it that easily? Will this lead to problems?

So far I already connected my laptop and my phone to the wifi network - works perfectly
It won't lead to any issues switching is either on or off so you bypassed their mac address filtering which is a security measure that simply disables the switchport.

kanewolf

Titan
Anyway, now it works;

If may function, but you have created a security vulnerability on the school's network. You have probably violated your user agreement for network access. Hopefully, your infraction isn't considered too serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS