Question My router does not have the port forwarding feature at all but i need to port forward

kanewolf

Titan
Unknown. What is the model of the current router? Does your current router have a public IP address for the WAN? Do you have a separate router and modem or a combo unit? Do you have phone service with your ISP?

All of those things impact if the router could be replaced with a unit that does support port forwarding.

Reactions: cksm_zzz
Jul 6, 2019
Unknown. What is the model of the current router? Does your current router have a public IP address for the WAN? Do you have a separate router and modem or a combo unit? Do you have phone service with your ISP?

All of those things impact if the router could be replaced with a unit that does support port forwarding.
My router is an XL Home model MV008, i have a public WAN ip, my router and modem is not separate, and I do not have phone service with my ISP.

From what I can tell that router is a mobile broadband router. Generally even if the router had port forwarding options it still would not work. Most mobile broadband ISP most times do not give you a public ip address. They are doing what is called carrier NAT on one of their routers. The port forwarding would need to be done on that router which obviously you can't.

Since this appears to be some bundled router it is unlikely you can replace it.....not that it matters if you can not get a public IP from the ISP.

You have few option other than kinda extreme ones. You could get a vpn service that gives you a fixed IP address. I know nordvpn had that option, I think they charge like $5 extra/month on top of the normal vpn fees. The maybe a better VPN service where you live. This will work for anything you can run the vpn client on since the machine itself gets this public IP address. If you have mulitple device or something that can not run a vpn client it gets more complex because you would need to put a second router behind the ISP router.

Reactions: cksm_zzz
Jul 6, 2019
From what I can tell that router is a mobile broadband router. Generally even if the router had port forwarding options it still would not work. Most mobile broadband ISP most times do not give you a public ip address. They are doing what is called carrier NAT on one of their routers. The port forwarding would need to be done on that router which obviously you can't.

Since this appears to be some bundled router it is unlikely you can replace it.....not that it matters if you can not get a public IP from the ISP.

You have few option other than kinda extreme ones. You could get a vpn service that gives you a fixed IP address. I know nordvpn had that option, I think they charge like $5 extra/month on top of the normal vpn fees. The maybe a better VPN service where you live. This will work for anything you can run the vpn client on since the machine itself gets this public IP address. If you have mulitple device or something that can not run a vpn client it gets more complex because you would need to put a second router behind the ISP router.
Oh ok, thanks!