My routers ip address is 169 and doesnt have a default gateway

danialsaufii

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
so the other day i wanted to use my old router to do wireless ethernet bridging since my pc only has an ethernet port. After downloading tomato firmware and long hours of reading and trying stuff i was able to bridge it. After i changed some ip, i couldnt log into my routers admin page. I ran ipconfig /all and i got 169 ip adress with no default gateway. I tried reseting the normal way and the hard reset but still get 169 ip and no default gateway. Any solution?
Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-CC-6A-BC-FF-F1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::49f4:c1ca:dbe6:28b3%17(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.40.179(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 290245738
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-BC-60-CA-4C-CC-6A-BC-FF-F1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
If by any chance this router is unfixable, can u suggest another way to wifi bridge or any other hardware that can do the job. Also is wireless ethernet bridge better than wifi?

If you set it to bridge mode it many times will disable the DHCP server function. You will have to manually set your IP to something in the proper range to be able to access the router again.

Be very careful there are mulitple types of bridging. It sounds like you want your router to act as a wireless nic for your pc. This is called client-bridge. Your best bet is to set the ip of your new bridge router and your pc manually to some ip that is in the same subnet as you main router but outside its DHCP scope. High ips like 240,241,242 etc tend to be safest. After you get it all working you can set your pc back to dhcp if you like and it should get a IP from the main router though the bridge router.

Be aware you may have to enable WDS to get client-bridge to work properly. The problem is the MAC address is part of the wifi encryption keys. The router will use its own mac address. Your pc has a different mac address which can not be passed over wifi (that is what WDS does). Now some device, not sure about tomato will fake out the mac address and pretend all your traffic is coming from the router. This works ok for a single device.

danialsaufii

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

Before this i didnt have to connect to my main router to connect to my 2nd router... i just used an ethernet cable and connect my 2nd router with my pc. I was able to access the old asus admin page and also the tomato admin page without having to actually connect to any source of internet connection. I tried setting the static ip of my router to 192.168.1.10 and the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 and still i cant access it. And also i looked at the ethernet 2 status.. it says im sending but not recieving.. does this mean my pc is able to send to the router but the router is not sending anything back? Or is my pc sending but my router didnt even recieve anything? When it was working both reciev3 and sent had numbers beside 0. Now only the recieve is 0 but the send is like 1000+