[SOLVED] my rtx 2060 (laptop) will have random surges of poor fps

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
as the title stated i got my sager laptop in october last year. i play cod and on ultra was easily pushing 75fps on average. about 2 weeks ago i would just get periodic instances of 40-50fps. i tried reinstalling drivers many times, i tried reinstalling window (no format), reinstalling the game, etc. nothing worked. it has since gotten worse where this is happening several times a minute, especially in battle scenes where fps is more intensive. i wish there was some type of program i could run that would read what my graphics card is doing throughout, because i'm fairly certain it would show 100% performance (or 90% of whatever) following by these random drops in performance to 40-50%. temps have been absolutely fine, and i've ruled out cpu throttling. thanks for any help.

Solution
drops in FPS are normally due to CPU bottleneck, overheat (CPU or GPU, even both), low amount of ram (which would lead to the HD having to work to keep up so a drop in frames would be noticeable) If you've tried reinstalling everything and the problem remains, i would say it's a hardware issue.
it would be good to see the amount of load the CPU and GPU have while gaming. Use afterburner and enable Riva turner statistics ingame to see a big amount of data (i have an MSI GL72MVR with an i7 770hq, and some games create bottleneck (AC:Odyssey is one of those).

Piske

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
drops in FPS are normally due to CPU bottleneck, overheat (CPU or GPU, even both), low amount of ram (which would lead to the HD having to work to keep up so a drop in frames would be noticeable) If you've tried reinstalling everything and the problem remains, i would say it's a hardware issue.
it would be good to see the amount of load the CPU and GPU have while gaming. Use afterburner and enable Riva turner statistics ingame to see a big amount of data (i have an MSI GL72MVR with an i7 770hq, and some games create bottleneck (AC:Odyssey is one of those).

Solution

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
well i ran msi afterburner oc scanner, got 225mhz more on my gpu and did 500mhz on the ram, and now i'm easily averaging in the 80s with consistent 90s as well. i only say average in the 80s because i see it dip to the 65-75 range every now and then.

that's not much of an OC but hey, i'll take the results.