[SOLVED] my rtx 2070 stays at 20% usage in all games

Aug 14, 2019
i have an rtx 2070 8gb asus strix with 16gb od ddr4 an i5 9400f and a 240mm watercooler for my cpu and the temps are fine but my graphics card only uses like 20% in games like rise of the tomb raider on max setting 1080p while my cpu usage is at like 50-60% usage my gpu will not go any higher and i have low fps because of this.

Reactions: DUAL33s
Solution
i have an rtx 2070 8gb asus strix with 16gb od ddr4 an i5 9400f and a 240mm watercooler for my cpu and the temps are fine but my graphics card only uses like 20% in games like rise of the tomb raider on max setting 1080p while my cpu usage is at like 50-60% usage my gpu will not go any higher and i have low fps because of this.

Ive run into a similar issue, but with my RTX 2060. It seemed the lower I set my fps and grahics settings, the worse my overall performance would feel. I did some research and found out that with higher end GPU's it is sometimes better to have higher in-game settings in order to allow the game to run GPU bound, as opposed to CPU bound.

A GoW4 dev explained the importance of GPU vs CPU bound in a blog...
What's the screen resolution of your Monitor ? Which Power Supply Unit do you actually have ? Under NVCP, have you tried forcing this setting ?

Setting Power management mode from "Adaptive" to "Maximum Performance" can improve performance in certain applications when the GPU is throttling the clock speeds incorrectly.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ent-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

What all PC games are you playing ? Because some Games are CPU-bound.

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019

Ive run into a similar issue, but with my RTX 2060. It seemed the lower I set my fps and grahics settings, the worse my overall performance would feel. I did some research and found out that with higher end GPU's it is sometimes better to have higher in-game settings in order to allow the game to run GPU bound, as opposed to CPU bound.

A GoW4 dev explained the importance of GPU vs CPU bound in a blog post (https://gearsofwar.com/en-ca/developerblog/8/gearsofwar4perfguide). But basically you want to see the game GPU bound because there are more options to scale performance on the GPU.

Quote from the blog post:
"As you achieve higher and higher framerates, the game will inevitably become CPU bound. When this happens the threads will not have a chance to give up time to other tasks, which can cause some longer running tasks (texture loading and decompression, for example) to be slowed down. "

So basically, I was having a similar problem, where the lower I set the graphics and fps limit, the worse performance I would achieve. The way I fixed this, was to actually keep the graphics settings at low/med, set my fps to 144 (to match my monitor refresh rate) and INCREASE the render resolution from 100% to approx. 120 - 130%. I was skeptical at first, but I gave it a shot and I'm very happy I did, because it helped A LOT!

It is odd that increasing the render resolution would actually INCREASE performance, however, this seems to be the case in multiple games, when running a higher end GPU. A few games that this "technique" can improve are Black Ops 4 and Battlefield V..there are others but I can't recall them atm

Anyway..hope this helps. Try raising the render resolution (if possible) and let me know if it helps.

Solution