[SOLVED] my RTX 3050 is underperforming

Apr 3, 2022
hello guys
I recently upgraded to RTX 3050 from GTX1650 GD5
and I'm having a problem is I'm not getting the same fps from what I saw on youtube
my rig is
i5-9400F (3 years old and was always on high-performance mode 15 hours a day and sometimes full 24 hours)
ASUS PRIME h310m-e
2x8 3200{2666 on my system} CL19 TeamGroup
128 SSD (which is on 7% health because as a said before i use my pc a lot so for 3 years it was on 15hours a day and sometimes 24 hours)
1TB HDD (same as the above)
power supply Thermaltake lite power 650w
I'm not sure what's causing the problem the old cpu& motherboard or the power supply because as you can see in the video the GPU power is not stable
here is gameplay with my new GPU
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYrlctR7JyQ

Solution
That video you linked, the CPU is pegged at 90-100% and the GPU is fluctuating between 70-95%. Its CPU bound, GPU should almost always be 99% utilization to get the max out of the GPU. You'll need to upgrade your CPU. Maybe a i7-9700k and keep your current motherboard.

Edit: Also i just re-watched your video. I can almost guarantee you at lest 3 of your CPU cores is pegged at the full 100% utilization. Your per core clock speed will need a lift as well. An Oced 9700k will solve this

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, what did you see on YouTube and where? And what settings are you running at? And have you run actual benchmarks? Other games? You're basically asking us to evaluate your FPS at some mystery setting in one chunk of gameplay in one game, compared to another mystery YouTube video that you saw. Since we're Tom's Hardware rather than Tom's Psychics, we're going to need a lot more detail than that.

In any case, it's unlikely to be your PSU. Yes, the PSU is absolute junk, but that's a different long-term safety issue, rather than likely causing issues right now. Certainly don't see anything notably unstable about the wattage; it's not like a food processor running in the on position.

Agree with above. However watching that video the cpu usage is very high at times but also the gpu usage is generally high. I know this game can use 12 cpu threads and your has 6 so I do expect the cpu is limiting performance at least at times. However given the gpu usage is still high a better cpu may not give a significant improvement.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
That video you linked, the CPU is pegged at 90-100% and the GPU is fluctuating between 70-95%. Its CPU bound, GPU should almost always be 99% utilization to get the max out of the GPU. You'll need to upgrade your CPU. Maybe a i7-9700k and keep your current motherboard.

Edit: Also i just re-watched your video. I can almost guarantee you at lest 3 of your CPU cores is pegged at the full 100% utilization. Your per core clock speed will need a lift as well. An Oced 9700k will solve this

Reactions: Moxart.gg
Solution