[SOLVED] My RTX 3070 is a little special

Nov 2, 2020
Hello guys,

I've recently bought and installed my EVGA RTX 3070. Happy to have it, I never fathomed to play Warzone on Ultra with 144fps but back to the topic:

My fans are weird as hell. MSI Afterburner can only control the first 2 fans and Precision X1 (EVGA's program) can only control the third fan. If I try to control the other ones with it they are showing a lower output than fan no. 3 by around 30-50% (MSI Afterburner can't control the third one at all). My PC beeps 3-4 times while booting up maybe it has something to do with it... I'm a novice at best but I'm sure I installed properly.

Why is that? Any suggestions?

Feel free to ask questions :)

Last edited:
Solution
I haven't used Nvidia for a while, does the new Nvidia suite have GPU performance tuning? You could probably try that out, but all fans should be working regardless of the software you are using.

edit: forgot to check out your post code "beeps" from you MOBO. You said 3-4 beeps? Is this what happens when you power on?

"4. "One long and three short beeps" from speaker
An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage."

How old is your PSU? Are all the cables connected properly?
Nov 2, 2020
we know what GPU you have, but need the rest of your system specs

CPU
Motherboard
PSU

also did you switch from AMD to Nvidia?
are your drivers up to date?
Everything is up to date as far as I am concerned and no I previously had a gtx 960.
My specs are as follows:

ASUS Prime Z270-P
EVGA RTX 3070
Intel i5-7600k
700W Cooler Master PSU
16 (2x8)GB DDR4
2 SSD, 1 M2 SSD
2 1080p screens

Oh and quick addition: These fan shenanigans crashed my PC, the GPU was probably overheating since I didn't know that the fans were not running properly (well, not running at all).
One time it crashed while it was idling and I watched MSI Afterburner trying to figure out why the memory clocked in at 7000MHz periodically (I reinstalled the GPUs drivers which seems to have fixed the issue).

Last edited:

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Sounds like reinstalling the drivers did the trick. Looking at your hardware its a good setup, so makes sense for it to be a software issue. Either way I would avoid using more than one software to control your card. They can cause conflicts with one another. Pick either Precision or MSI AB. Make sure whichever you are not using is disabled or uninstalled.

Nov 2, 2020
Sounds like reinstalling the drivers did the trick. Looking at your hardware its a good setup, so makes sense for it to be a software issue. Either way I would avoid using more than one software to control your card. They can cause conflicts with one another. Pick either Precision or MSI AB. Make sure whichever you are not using is disabled or uninstalled.
Ok, will do. I went with MSI Afterburner since I'm more comfortable using that program. Just a shame that I can only use 2 out of 3 fans.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I haven't used Nvidia for a while, does the new Nvidia suite have GPU performance tuning? You could probably try that out, but all fans should be working regardless of the software you are using.

edit: forgot to check out your post code "beeps" from you MOBO. You said 3-4 beeps? Is this what happens when you power on?

An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage."

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 2, 2020

My PSU is around 5 years old, so getting a new one is not out of the realm of possibilities. I figured it would have something to do with the PSU, that's why I made sure the cables are properly connected and all that. However, the same problem doesn't occur if I plug in my old GPU. The 3070 should really get enough wattage since I plugged in two 8-pin cables and it only needs ~220W.

Edit: I am not familiar with the way PSU cables work but I've done the following:
There are two PCI-e 6+2 pin cables coming out of my PSU, both of them have some kind of divider that makes one cable into 2 separate 6+2 connectors but they are still one cable. That goes for both cables. So in total, I have 4 connectors I can connect my GPU with. I've tried both connectors from the same cable and 2 separate connectors from one cable each. The problem still occurs either way.

I think it's 4 short beeps, to be honest, it sounds like the usual deep beep when my PC boots up, and right after there are 4 short ones (at least that's what it sounds like to me).

The thing is, all fans work properly, just not at the same time. At least I cannot control all three via MSI Afterburner.

The performance tuning thing is still part of the Beta version, I believe but couldn't hurt to try it out.

Quick edit: tried out the new performance thingy by Nvidia... Well, I went into The Witcher 3 and the fans started spinning at around 55°C but only two of them. :( Manually or automatically

Last edited:

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I am not sure about power consumption between your old card vs your new card. I would assume that the newer card would be more power efficient, but not sure if it ultimately draws more power or is more demanding. You could get a new PSU and if that might fix the issue, but if it doesn't then you would ultimately need to do a warranty service. Wish I could help more. I had the same issue with my 5700xt when it was new, but when I switched over to AMD tuning software the problem went away.

Nov 2, 2020
Thanks for the help anyway. :)
I'll see if I can find someone with a spare PSU to test it out otherwise Evga gets their card back, which sucks tbh since I'm happy with it apart from that minor issue.