Question my RTX 3080 is faulty?

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
I just built my first PC, everything seemed to be fine until I plugged in a monitor to the GPU's HDMI port- the PC crashed and not turning in since than unless I remove the GPU.

Is it 100% a faulty GPU?

Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pull the plug on the pc. Push/hold power button for 10 seconds, all mobo lighting should cease. Reset the cmos by shorting out the pins with a flat screwdriver ( carefully, just needs contact for a few seconds). Plug gpu in, monitor in, power to gpu, boot. Should start.

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Pull the plug on the pc. Push/hold power button for 10 seconds, all mobo lighting should cease. Reset the cmos by shorting out the pins with a flat screwdriver ( carefully, just needs contact for a few seconds). Plug gpu in, monitor in, power to gpu, boot. Should start.
There's a "Clear CMOS" button on he motherboard, is it good enough? or still need to user a screwdriver?
I tried to hold power button for 10 seconds - doesn't work.
PC seems to be fine without the GPU but with the GPU nothing happened when I turn on.

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Are you using a riser cable?
Did you plug the 6+2 ends of the PCIe cable into the gpu?
Do you have another gpu to test with?
No using a riser cable.
Do you mean the 8+8 pins on the GPU? I plugged it with 2 PCI-E cables to the PSU.
I'm using a Palit 3080:

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you mean the 4+4 pins on the GPU? I plugged it with 2 PCI-E cable to the PSU.
There's no 4+4 for a gpu. 4+4 is a cpu EPS connector.
See the following image of a PCIe cable:
iu
See the end of the cable that's 6+2? Did you plug 2 of these into your gpu?
The end that doesn't split is supposed to plug directly into the psu.

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Before I connected the monitor to the HDMI the GPU seemed to be fine - the RGB and the fans were on.
Now no matter what I do the PC does nothing when I turn it with GPU

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
I think there's a short then.
Nothing's dead, but the system is unresponsive with that gpu installed, and completely alive when it isn't.

Have you tried it in the 2nd slot?
Yeah I tried it in both PCI-E slots.
Unfortunately I don't have another GPU to test it.

Bios update has nothing to do with this issue right?

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Weird update:
I did 2 things:
  1. Removed the battery for 1 minutes
  2. Update the bios using the q flash+

Than the computer tuned on with the GPU, lights, fans and everything BUT no signal on the monitor (tried both HDMI and DP).
I connected the GPU to a different PCI-E slot and now again the PC is not turning on no matter which PCI-E slot I use.
Also tried to remove the battery for 1 minute again with no help.