Question My RTX3070Ti is performing the same as my previous GTX1060 6GB

Mar 5, 2023
I recently upgraded my GTX1060 to a new RTX3070 Ti hoping for a huge bump in performance. This was not the case. Most of the time it might perform a little better but mostly the same. I have tried to fix the problem doing many different things, but nothing seems to work.
My GPU usage will normally be around 30%-70% while my CPU will be around 50%. An in game example in Sons Of The Forest It struggles to get to 60fps on high settings. Even when I lower the graphics settings it still would struggle. Any thoughts?

Specs:
EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 Ultra Gaming
Ryzen 7 3700x
64G ram at 3200mhz
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
samung 970 EVO SSD 1TB
EVGA 80+ GOLD 750W

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What other games have you tested? Because looking at Sons Of The Forest low fps posts on Reddit seems quite the few are having issues with it. It's a very new game too so probably expect to see improvement updates or new Geforce drivers soon.

Keep in mind of the following:
  • The CPU is responsible for generating the maximum frame rate
  • The GPU is responsible for making pretty frames at a rate up to the maximum frame rate
  • While having 100% CPU utilization is a sign of a CPU bottleneck, having anything less does not mean the CPU can be bottlenecked
    • Games still don't really use more than say 8-10 threads, which won't saturate an 8C/16T processor
    • In addition, many games still rely on a single thread to distribute work, so single core performance is still very important
If you want to make sure the GPU can potentially perform well, run a purely graphical benchmark like 3DMark Time Spy and see if the graphics score is similar to other reviewers.

Mar 5, 2023
What other games have you tested? Because looking at Sons Of The Forest low fps posts on Reddit seems quite the few are having issues with it. It's a very new game too so probably expect to see improvement updates or new Geforce drivers soon.
In destiny 2 I have my fps capped at 75 because that's my monitor's refresh rate. most of the time it does stay there but every once in a while I will see it drop to the high 50's.

I know this is a very poor example but star citizen will be around 30fps while my GPU is at 20% utilization. But I've seen this happen in almost every game I play. It will be at my fps cap but then drop fps with low utilization.

Mar 5, 2023
How did the GTX 1060 do in Sons of the Forest on high settings?
I just tested it and my 1060 was getting 40fps and my 3070ti was getting 73fps. both tests were in the same spot on max graphic settings. I feel like there should be a bigger difference in this game though but maybe I'm wrong.

Mar 5, 2023
Keep in mind of the following:
  • The CPU is responsible for generating the maximum frame rate
  • The GPU is responsible for making pretty frames at a rate up to the maximum frame rate
  • While having 100% CPU utilization is a sign of a CPU bottleneck, having anything less does not mean the CPU can be bottlenecked
    • Games still don't really use more than say 8-10 threads, which won't saturate an 8C/16T processor
    • In addition, many games still rely on a single thread to distribute work, so single core performance is still very important
If you want to make sure the GPU can potentially perform well, run a purely graphical benchmark like 3DMark Time Spy and see if the graphics score is similar to other reviewers.
I did the time spy test and my scores were just under average for the graphics card. But for the CPU it was 1000 under average. Could this mean I'm getting a slight CPU bottleneck while gaming?

I did the time spy test and my scores were just under average for the graphics card. But for the CPU it was 1000 under average. Could this mean I'm getting a slight CPU bottleneck while gaming?
If by "1000 under average" you mean the CPU score was floating around 8500, it could mean the CPU isn't able to achieve the highest performance level. This could be related to how the thing is being cooled.

Mar 5, 2023
If by "1000 under average" you mean the CPU score was floating around 8500, it could mean the CPU isn't able to achieve the highest performance level. This could be related to how the thing is being cooled.
It could be the cooling because I am still using the stock cooler on it. when I'm playing games my CPU temp is normally in the lower 60s. Is that too hot for the CPU?