[SOLVED] My RX 580 keeps crashing upon stress

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020
I got my PC in April and in the begging it had a lot of problems which were resolved but recently I accidently installed a windows pro key in my windows 10 enterprise and thus my screen started to glitch a lot so I reverted it back to windows 10 enterprise key but it still glitches and then when I try to play games like fortnite my PC crashes and I have to reset the PC by pressing the button. I even tried funmark the GPU stress tester it also caused my PC to crash . Last time when something like this happened the game would close and that was a ram debug problem which gets resolved by switching ram slots idk what to do now . My PC specs are:
1)Intel core i7-4770 @ 3.40Ghz
2) Amd Radeon RX 580
3)Trigem DreamSyS motherboard I think its a Milano P idk what it is I tried searching on the internet but couldn't figure it out.
4)PSU is of 350 watts
5)128 GB SSD 500 GB HDD 80 GB HDD
I know that a minimum of 500 Watts is required for the RX 580 but I have been playing games on it since April 2020 why will it start giving problems now?
Can anyone please help me and tell me what is wrong with my PC . This was my first time building a PC

Solution
2) Amd Radeon RX 580

4)PSU is of 350 watts

I know that a minimum of 500 Watts is required for the RX 580 but I have been playing games on it since April 2020 why will it start giving problems now?
Can anyone please help me and tell me what is wrong with my PC . This was my first time building a PC

This. This right here. You got LUCKY that you were able to play in the first place with it, and that it lasted this long without the PSU dying and frying other parts with it.

STOP using this PC right now!

There are two things to know about power supplies that you need:
  1. Enough wattage
  2. How much of that power is available on the 12V rails
  3. Good quality
This is in reverse...
A 350W PSU? - It's entirely possible that PSUs go bad without outright failing, especially when they're underpowered and (more than likely in your case) of poor quality.

RAM problems? - Remove the RX580 completely and test your RAM until you find out what stick of RAM is faulty.

Some no-name mobo? (never even heard of that brand)

Sounds like the GPU isn't your #1 suspect. Possibly even the least of your worries.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
2) Amd Radeon RX 580

4)PSU is of 350 watts

This. This right here. You got LUCKY that you were able to play in the first place with it, and that it lasted this long without the PSU dying and frying other parts with it.

1. Enough wattage
  3. Good quality
This is in reverse order of importance, by the way. And, be warned that there are absolute garbage PSUs out there that brag of high efficiency and/or high wattage.

In my signature, click on the first link. Read that write-up THOROUGHLY. That is your go-to guide for picking a good PSU. Do NOT cut corners when it comes to a power supply.

i7-4770 - TDP 84W. Let's say it's 95W to give us a little margin of safety.
RX 580 - TDP 185W, assuming it's not an overclocked version, so, let's say 210W just to give us a little margin of safety.
Everything else - say around 50W or so. Motherboard, RAM, fans, etc.

95 + 210 + 50 = 355W.

Now, that's assuming you're pegging it at max usage on all components, but still, you see the problem here, right?

In fact, about 90% of rated capacity, even for a high-quality PSU, is a line I would not want to cross.

Read that link I mentioned, and get yourself a 550W unit from one of the recommended ones in that write-up.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a normal tower PC, with standard connectors?

Reactions: Mohib117
Solution
95 + 210 + 50 = 355W.

Now, that's assuming you're pegging it at max usage on all components, but still, you see the problem here, right?

In fact, about 90% of rated capacity, even for a high-quality PSU, is a line I would not want to cross.
That also assumes that the PSU in question can ACTUALLY deliver the full 350W on the 12V rail (which it probably cant)

Reactions: Mohib117 and King_V

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020

1. Enough wattage
  3. Good quality
This is in reverse order of importance, by the way. And, be warned that there are absolute garbage PSUs out there that brag of high efficiency and/or high wattage.

In my signature, click on the first link. Read that write-up THOROUGHLY. That is your go-to guide for picking a good PSU. Do NOT cut corners when it comes to a power supply.

RX 580 - TDP 185W, assuming it's not an overclocked version, so, let's say 210W just to give us a little margin of safety.

95 + 210 + 50 = 355W.

Read that link I mentioned, and get yourself a 550W unit from one of the recommended ones in that write-up.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a normal tower PC, with standard connectors?
Thank you very much for your reply and I should tell you once I had a Hdd which was working fine for 1 or 2 months but then it suddenly failed like it was not working properly so was the low PSU a reason for it failing

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you very much for your reply and I should tell you once I had a Hdd which was working fine for 1 or 2 months but then it suddenly failed like it was not working properly so was the low PSU a reason for it failing

Very possible. A friend of mine who is involved with radio, recording, etc, had a PC with an aftermarket sound card. Now, the system was fine for a while, then the sound card died. Her father replaced it with another card, which failed shortly thereafter.

She continued to use the PC, but without an add-in card. Eventually, the machine stopped working.

I was able to get a hold of it. The PSU had definitely died. Unfortunately, a new PSU didn't help, because when the old PSU died, it killed the motherboard. It also is likely responsible for killing the soundcards, and I had suggested that when the first card died.

Her father, who claims to be an expert on PCs, disregarded that advice. And now the system is dead.

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020
The problem is solved it, my GPU's IC was not working properly and I went to multiple computer shops they all said that GPU can work but it will show garbage upon stress and they also said that my PSU was fine .Im never gonna buy a radeon card ever again I am gonna buy an nvidia card next time . My card was new and I now I have suffered a loss of about 200 dollars :(

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Exactly what do you mean by your GPU's IC?

I have no idea what computer shops you went to that told you your 350 Watt PSU was sufficient for your combination of GPU and CPU, then these are shops you should not trust ever.

Further, with only a 350 watt PSU, how did you provide power to the GPU's PCIe connectors? I would be very surprised if your PSU had more than a single 6-pin connector, and the RX580 very likely has two 6-pin PCIe connectors or a single 8-pin connector.

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020
Exactly what do you mean by your GPU's IC?

I have no idea what computer shops you went to that told you your 350 Watt PSU was sufficient for your combination of GPU and CPU, then these are shops you should not trust ever.

Further, with only a 350 watt PSU, how did you provide power to the GPU's PCIe connectors? I would be very surprised if your PSU had more than a single 6-pin connector, and the RX580 very likely has two 6-pin PCIe connectors or a single 8-pin connector.
I went to multiple shops like they said that your GPU is not gonna work your gonna need a re ball machine to repair its IC and the country which I live in might have it or not when I asked the computer shops they said they aren't available in Pakistan (my country) . You might have observed that I am not a professional at PC's so when I said the screen was "glitching" it was actually showing garbage and whenever I run a stress test my pc crashes I'm gonna show some pictures.
pm5W3eg7j

This what happened when I stress tested it then I stress tested it again and this is what happenedT
pouHwOSDj

Note: Colors are different because once I stress tested with anti-aliasing(green upon crash) and one without anti-aliasing(red one)
Then a blue screen came because I wasn't closing the PC forcefully as I wanted to wait and see what would happen as sometimes when I was suing PC with graphic card but no stress than it would show garbage for 1 or 2 seconds then it would hang and then it would like refresh ad then I could use PC again.
pmvi43pjj

porPH6K4j

then the BSOD even started showing garbage then when my PC started to restart this happened
pm983VqRj

then it got worse
pmuKYdLcj

you see then I had to close it. Also I apologize for not giving you enough info and annoying you.
I did a stress test last week with my GPU and I had turned on anti aliasing and for 30 mins I tested the GPU and it did not crash or show garbage and my PC was horizontal and open and then i stood it up vertically then it showed garbage and crashed then I placed it down horizontally again and it didn't crash then I was using it and it randomly showed garbage idk what happened. I would be very grateful if you can help me so that I don't have to buy another GPU and spend more money.

Last edited:

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020
I went to multiple shops like they said that your GPU is not gonna work your gonna need a re ball machine to repair its IC and the country which I live in might have it or not when I asked the computer shops they said they aren't available in Pakistan (my country) . You might have observed that I am not a professional at PC's so when I said the screen was "glitching" it was actually showing garbage and whenever I run a stress test my pc crashes I'm gonna show some pictures.
pm5W3eg7j

This what happened when I stress tested it then I stress tested it again and this is what happenedT
pouHwOSDj

Note: Colors are different because once I stress tested with anti-aliasing(green upon crash) and one without anti-aliasing(red one)
Then a blue screen came because I wasn't closing the PC forcefully as I wanted to wait and see what would happen as sometimes when I was suing PC with graphic card but no stress than it would show garbage for 1 or 2 seconds then it would hang and then it would like refresh ad then I could use PC again.
pmvi43pjj

porPH6K4j

then the BSOD even started showing garbage then when my PC started to restart this happened
pm983VqRj

then it got worse
pmuKYdLcj

you see then I had to close it. Also I apologize for not giving you enough info and annoying you.
I did a stress test last week with my GPU and I had turned on anti aliasing and for 30 mins I tested the GPU and it did not crash or show garbage and my PC was horizontal and open and then i stood it up vertically then it showed garbage and crashed then I placed it down horizontally again and it didn't crash then I was using it and it randomly showed garbage idk what happened. I would be very grateful if you can help me so that I don't have to buy another GPU and spend more money.
Any thoughts?

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020
Well I can change the psu but, where will i get another GPU to test from since this one is dead according to the shopkeepers. Plus where im from load shedding occurs so they said that this is the reason for my card dying. Ill change the PSU, how many watts of PSU should I install?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well I can change the psu but, where will i get another GPU to test from since this one is dead according to the shopkeepers. Plus where im from load shedding occurs so they said that this is the reason for my card dying. Ill change the PSU, how many watts of PSU should I install?
there are questions to everything on the intenet, including this, however, to keep it short, your answer is just up there

95 + 210 + 50 = 355W.
so, atLEAST 355W, so you can get a 450W, or keep it even higher if you want (for future upgrades etc. and get a 550W one, but in my humbly honest opinion look atleast for an 80+ Bronze rated PSU, they have good efficiency (not top of the line, but you can do so much worse)

DSzymborski

Titan

I doubt the GPU is repairable at this point. And it's hard to say more because more than a year from your post, you still haven't supplied basic information like the identity of the PSU and whether the card was being powered through proper PCIE cables or was using adapters.

Reactions: King_V

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020
Well I changed the PSU and checked the GPU, it still crashed I checked it with a PSU of 450w plus I just noticed on the internet that pcwinmax cards are a scam and unfortunatly I have the rx 580 pcwinnmax version so is that the reason for it dying so quickly?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well I changed the PSU and checked the GPU, it still crashed I checked it with a PSU of 450w plus I just noticed on the internet that pcwinmax cards are a scam and unfortunatly I have the rx 580 pcwinnmax version so is that the reason for it dying so quickly?
When buying a GPU, i recommend always stick to gigabyte/msi/zotac/ASrock and the like, and if you're unsure, ask around.

I've never heard of pcwinmax, but if, for some reason, their GPU are way less priced than the same from reputable places like gigabyte and msi, not only could it be a scam, it could also be a totally different GPU.

Linus actually has multiple videos of it, the risk of getting a fake GPU is higher if you bought from AliExpress and the like

View: https://youtu.be/PUIxyLRnzDc

View: https://youtu.be/ZbZ32mqmsrg

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Also, I'd recommend check a few benchmarks and see whether your GPU has similar framerates.

But getting another GPU is sort of uncommon, could just be that you got one with bad thermals and it went down.

When you played games on it, did you keep a check on your framerates? Checked any benchmarks to see if they're anywhere nearby that?

Mohib117

Commendable
Oct 23, 2020
People these days smh, well at least I learned something from this experience. Not only was I given a poor PSU but also scammed. The audacity of the shopkeeper, well cant do anything now. I would like to thank you all for helping me figure this out. I have learned a lot about PCs thanks to you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
People these days smh, well at least I learned something from this experience. Not only was I given a <Mod Edit> PSU but also scammed. The audacity of the shopkeeper, well cant do anything now. I would like to thank you all for helping me figure this out. I have learned a lot about PCs thanks to you guys.
Tbh it's not your fault, everybody is looking for cheaper GPU's, naturally this would attract attention, and these things are sorta common on Alibaba and AliExpress (both being markets from Alibaba, a chinese company). I myself was nearly damn fooled by one of their "iPhone 7" (when i was younger and dumber) but didn't go for it.

In the end these markets and these sellers should be ashamed of themselves, but since they're not, we need to exercise caution on our part.

I'd recommend not going to these markets and going with Amazon/any other respectable marketplace you have wherever you live. And getting some from gigabyte (aorus too, it's basically a higher profiled GPU branch of gigabyte), MSI, ASRock, ASUS, Zotac, Colorful and EVGA

There might be a handful of other brands i forgot to name here, but these ones are genuine.

Alternatively, you can straightaway go to AMD's site, choose the GPU, go to the very bottom of their description page and they'll show you their approved sellers and "GPU designers"