[SOLVED] My rx 580 runs hot

Evil Mastermind

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
Temps are arond 76 normal 83 peak
My model: Rx 580 Devil Golden sample.
Is this normal, or should I return it (used on ebay)
nd2a14zl8jc31.png

After Thermal Paste, nothing changed and the fan is loud
View: https://imgur.com/a/XgzoPWL#MMTndd8

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/cCGSS1u

Solution
FurMark is a consistent load so it's potentially more strenuous for temps than some games. It's certainly not the most power hungry test though. I can say for a fact that Doom uses much more power on the GPU (not sure why/how)

Regardless of clock throttling, 1.2V @ 1230MHz is way too high. That's probably on the order of 50+W more than necessary.
What RPM are the fans running at?

Do you have the side panel off your case so that case airflow isn't affecting anything?

What voltage is being applied at 1230MHz per your FurMark screenshot? (GPUz is an easy tool for this) 1230MHz is pretty low for an RX580 BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Evil Mastermind

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016

Do you have the side panel off your case so that case airflow isn't affecting anything?

What voltage is being applied at 1230MHz per hour FurMark screenshot? (GPUz is an easy tool for this) 1230MHz is pretty low for an RX580 BTW.
I left the side open, and temps only decreased 1-2C and its around 1.2V? not sure if that high or not (3k rpm is the fan around 95%)

Last edited:
Ok. Well there's a large chunk of your problem. 0.95V should be enough for 1230MHz. If the card is pulling 1.2V for that frequency, it's probably clock-throttling down from the "stock" 1425MHz for that card. Auto voltage on these Polaris cards is notoriously greedy.

1.2V would get you ~1450MHz. I tested 1400MHz stable @ 1.15V on my RX480. (the slope above 0.95V is about 0.1V per 100MHz)

Not sure if you prefer Afterburner for tweaks, but here's an AMD WattMan guide. (WattMan gets installed with your AMD driver software)

Even at 1.2V, it seems your temps are a bit high. That card has a pretty decent heatsink on it. Perhaps you didn't apply the thermal paste properly or didn't get the screws tightened enough?

Last edited:

What voltage is being applied at 1230MHz per your FurMark screenshot? (GPUz is an easy tool for this) 1230MHz is pretty low for an RX580 BTW.

1230MHz is actually kind of normal for FurMark. FurMark causes a lot of cards to throttle low because it uses so much power.

The way to tell is run 3D Mark and compare your scores to others.

FurMark is a consistent load so it's potentially more strenuous for temps than some games. It's certainly not the most power hungry test though. I can say for a fact that Doom uses much more power on the GPU (not sure why/how)

Regardless of clock throttling, 1.2V @ 1230MHz is way too high. That's probably on the order of 50+W more than necessary.

Last edited:
Solution