[SOLVED] My rx580 is running horribly

Aug 27, 2020
Hi guys .. i have a serious problem with a used Rx580 i just bought .. it's running at 300Mhz Core And Memory Clock/Speed even while gaming the clocks range from 300 mhz to 800 or so ..

It doesn't run any game at a higher settings , it crashes ( A black screen actually .. that forces me to restart my pc ) when you run any modern title at FHD or at a higher settings. It runs games fine at a much lower resolution and much lower settings.

I don't know exactly why is that. I am totally lost right now and my day is ruined.

My pc

CPU : I7 4770
16 gb of ram
GPU : Powercolor rx580 4gb
PSU : Hipro hp-w700wc3 700w

Solution
Can you exactly tell me how to using the radeon software ? i'am new to AMD honestly and i can't find that radeon control center anywhere on my pc.

Adrenaline 2020 software

https://www.amd.com/en/support

I generally avoid used last gen gpu's like the plague.

If it was a mining card and then knew what they were so ng and undervolted it to increase efficiency, it doesnt mean they didnt screw up the bios.

Miners whom dont know what they are doing will try to run it as is. Doing that 24/7 leads to early death and then you have to start down clocking it to run stable. Thats when they try to dump them.

If it was a gaming card, many people tried to over clock these chips. They are already outside their efficiency...
Hi guys .. i have a serious problem with a used Rx580 i just bought .. it's running at 300Mhz Core And Memory Clock/Speed even while gaming the clocks range from 300 mhz to 800 or so ..

It doesn't run any game at a higher settings , it crashes ( A black screen actually .. that forces me to restart my pc ) when you run any modern title at FHD or at a higher settings. It runs games fine at a much lower resolution and much lower settings.

I don't know exactly why is that. I am totally lost right now and my day is ruined.

My pc

CPU : I7 4770
16 gb of ram
GPU : Powercolor rx580 4gb
PSU : Hipro hp-w700wc3 700w

With the radeon control center please display thermals, voltages, and clocks

However if it was me, and it is still under the return window, i would return it immediately.

Aug 27, 2020
Did you install the correct GPU drivers?

Can you please install GPU-Z and do a screenshot of the first window popping up and go to imgur.com to post the screen here. imgur.com -> post the link here.
Yes , I Think i did. i already tried there latest driver but they didn't work so i did a slight rollback to Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 - my current driver - which didn't help as well.

Here is a screenshot from gpu-z.

Yes, you need post your VGA information.
ps: hope your card is not mining card second hand.
Here is a screenshot from gpu-z.
Yeah i very much suspect it is indeed a mining card .. it was pretty cheap that i got for my younger brother who won't be so happy since it can't run s@#t.

With the radeon control center please display thermals, voltages, and clocks

However if it was me, and it is still under the return window, i would return it immediately.
Can you exactly tell me how to using the radeon software ? i'am new to AMD honestly and i can't find that radeon control center anywhere on my pc.

Adrenaline 2020 software

https://www.amd.com/en/support

I generally avoid used last gen gpu's like the plague.

If it was a mining card and then knew what they were so ng and undervolted it to increase efficiency, it doesnt mean they didnt screw up the bios.

Miners whom dont know what they are doing will try to run it as is. Doing that 24/7 leads to early death and then you have to start down clocking it to run stable. Thats when they try to dump them.

If it was a gaming card, many people tried to over clock these chips. They are already outside their efficiency curve and too high on voltage imho. It leads to electron migrating and silicon decay much faster. To keep the card stable it has to be down clocked more and more over time.

The fact your is running low out of the box suggest a used mining card that was never flashed back.

Last edited:
Solution