[SOLVED] My Ryzen 5 2400G integrated graphics aren't performing like ones in YouTube videos, what's causing this?

dingaling_

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Hi All!
First-time poster so please excuse any mistakes. :D
I've just completed my first ever PC build and under a very tight budget I decided to go for the integrated graphics on the 2400G as opposed to buying a graphics card (for now at least)
Anyways, in videos, people can get 50 ish frames on battlefield 1 with 1080p low settings (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKaj9woKOSI&t=90s
) but I can't achieve a stable 30 on 720p low settings along with %50 resolution scale.
I'm currently overclocking my CPU and integrated graphics but no guarantee I did it right to be honest.
Any help or advice as to why this is happening would be very very appreciated!
Thanks in advance and here are my specs/
_

Ryzen 5 2400G OC to 4GHz
8GB DDR4 2667
250GB SSD
1TB HDD
550W Enermax PSU
MSI X470 gaming plus
Stock wraith cooler

Solution
Your memory is kind of slow for Ryzen, 3200mhz is preferred and depending on the game can make a noticeable difference (2666 to 3200 could be as high as 15 FPS depending on the game).

Also if its a single stick then that could hurt performance as well and notice on the video that the user has 16gb of memory instead of 8gb.

They don't list complete specs, overclocks or how the video was recorded which makes me think it could be faked.

Userbenchmark only has a few tests with the 2400G with BF1 but per other users your getting around the correct FPS.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCGame/FPS-Estimates-Battlefield-5-/3961/401440.0.0.720p.0

WildCard999

Titan
Your memory is kind of slow for Ryzen, 3200mhz is preferred and depending on the game can make a noticeable difference (2666 to 3200 could be as high as 15 FPS depending on the game).

Also if its a single stick then that could hurt performance as well and notice on the video that the user has 16gb of memory instead of 8gb.

They don't list complete specs, overclocks or how the video was recorded which makes me think it could be faked.

Userbenchmark only has a few tests with the 2400G with BF1 but per other users your getting around the correct FPS.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCGame/FPS-Estimates-Battlefield-5-/3961/401440.0.0.720p.0

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution

dingaling_

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019

Would it be wise overclock my 1 ram stick?

Reactions: weird_beard

dingaling_

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Don't buy another stick, mixing memory can be problematic and even if you bought the exact same stick as what you have there's no guarantee it would even boot. I would overclock the single stick for now then save for a 2x8gb @3200mhz kit.
Wouldn’t that be kind of a waste? What should I do with the stick I’m using now?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The problem is that you can get another stick of the exact same memory you have now, and, with your existing stick:
  • They may not work at all together
  • They may work together, but only in single channel mode
  • They may work together in dual channel mode, but run slower
  • They may work perfectly fine together in dual channel mode as if they were a matched kit.
Unfortunately, there's no way to know ahead of time for sure. It's kind of hit or miss.

The ideal scenario is:
- Buy a matched pair (whether 2x4GB or 2x8GB, preferably the latter) of higher speed RAM
AND
- Sell your existing RAM

EDIT: Also, when comparing your performance to YouTube videos, make sure your setup is EXACTLY the same as what's on the video... settings, hardware specs, etc. And if they're not fully disclosing everything they did, then don't trust the video.

Reactions: Phaaze88

WildCard999

Titan
Wouldn’t that be kind of a waste? What should I do with the stick I’m using now?
Sell it.

If you want to keep it then either find an exact stick or at least one with the exact specs but like I said there's no guarantee it would even work. Also it should be faster so spending money on a 2666 stick is pointless.

Although at this point if you spending around $100 or so you might as well buy a RX 570 4gb as its quite better then then Vega 11 iGPU.

dingaling_

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Sell it.

If you want to keep it then either find an exact stick or at least one with the exact specs but like I said there's no guarantee it would even work. Also it should be faster so spending money on a 2666 stick is pointless.

Although at this point if you spending around $100 or so you might as well buy a RX 570 4gb as its quite better then then Vega 11 iGPU.
I was planning on buying a good one around Christmas/Hanukkah time after I make a bit more money. As of now, I could probably afford a 16gb kit but I wouldn’t even know where to find a cheap one. Is amazon best? Sucks I just missed all the prime deals.

dingaling_

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
The problem is that you can get another stick of the exact same memory you have now, and, with your existing stick:
  • They may not work at all together
  • They may work together, but only in single channel mode
  • They may work together in dual channel mode, but run slower
  • They may work perfectly fine together in dual channel mode as if they were a matched kit.
Unfortunately, there's no way to know ahead of time for sure. It's kind of hit or miss.

The ideal scenario is:
- Buy a matched pair (whether 2x4GB or 2x8GB, preferably the latter) of higher speed RAM
AND
- Sell your existing RAM

EDIT: Also, when comparing your performance to YouTube videos, make sure your setup is EXACTLY the same as what's on the video... settings, hardware specs, etc. And if they're not fully disclosing everything they did, then don't trust the video.
Yeah the ram is probably the issue, I can only assume that the igpu and cpu both sharing a slow 8gb of ram would cause trouble.

WildCard999

Titan
I was planning on buying a good one around Christmas/Hanukkah time after I make a bit more money. As of now, I could probably afford a 16gb kit but I wouldn’t even know where to find a cheap one. Is amazon best? Sucks I just missed all the prime deals.
Amazon Prime days would of been a good choice, besides that PCPer works well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

If you live near a Microcenter they will price match against companies such as Amazon & Newegg.

You have to also remember it's all about balance. If you overclock your CPU too much your power total package power budget may be eaten up by the CPU. If you overclock the GPU too much, your total package power budget may be eaten up by the GPU.

Reset to defaults. Overclock your memory if you can. Then slowly boost the iGPU and CPU by 100MHz increments and retest the benchmark every time. Also run CPUz and tell us what your CPU temp and operating voltages are.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ugh, I know traffic is bad there, but . . the one I'm aware of is at 13401 Crossroads Pkwy N, Industry, CA 91746 .

That's 45 minutes from your area of LA?

(I'm going to visit family in OC this summer, and that'll probably give me a reminder of just how bad traffic is out there)

dingaling_

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Ugh, I know traffic is bad there, but . . the one I'm aware of is at 13401 Crossroads Pkwy N, Industry, CA 91746 .

That's 45 minutes from your area of LA?

(I'm going to visit family in OC this summer, and that'll probably give me a reminder of just how bad traffic is out there)
Yeah it's pretty brutal. I'm west LA so if I even have to go near the freeway then it has to be worth it. Good luck going to OC that's one of the worst commutes I've ever seen.

dingaling_

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
You have to also remember it's all about balance. If you overclock your CPU too much your power total package power budget may be eaten up by the CPU. If you overclock the GPU too much, your total package power budget may be eaten up by the GPU.

Reset to defaults. Overclock your memory if you can. Then slowly boost the iGPU and CPU by 100MHz increments and retest the benchmark every time. Also run CPUz and tell us what your CPU temp and operating voltages are.
I'll keep this in mind, thanks :D