[SOLVED] my ryzen 5 2600x is overclocking for no reason help pls

M6LK

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
my cpu is overheating when i play games for 3+ hours it was at base clock before and now its at 4.00 GHz pls
my specs
b450 tomahawk
ryzen 2600x
g.skill ripjaw 3200
msi armor oc rtx 2070
500 gig ssd
and i turned game boost off
please help me

Solution
Precision boost goes up to 4.2Ghz. This is all automatic. CPU can take a lot of heat. Precision boost will only go as high as the cooler can handle. If temps get too high it'll automatically drop the precision boost frequency until temps come down. Just let it do it's job it should keep itself within the manufacturers temperature specs.

If you don't want precision boost or want to limit it. Do it in the BIOS and drop the multiplier for Precision Boost (aka AMD Turbo Core, aka AMD Core Performance Boost (CPB)).
Precision boost goes up to 4.2Ghz. This is all automatic. CPU can take a lot of heat. Precision boost will only go as high as the cooler can handle. If temps get too high it'll automatically drop the precision boost frequency until temps come down. Just let it do it's job it should keep itself within the manufacturers temperature specs.

If you don't want precision boost or want to limit it. Do it in the BIOS and drop the multiplier for Precision Boost (aka AMD Turbo Core, aka AMD Core Performance Boost (CPB)).

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dragon Center is almost always the culprit, it overrides bios settings and pushes for performance at the price of temps, regardless whether Game Boost is active or not. I'd disable Dragon Center or remove it completely if you have no real use for it, and make sure Windows power plan is set for Balanced. Use of Ryzen Master is recommended for monitoring purposes.

M6LK

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
OK, so you say CPU is overheating:
Whats the temp reading while playing games?
What are you using to see the reading, HWiNFO, MSI Afterburner?

And yeah as Karadjgne wrote, MSI Dragon Center is usually very messy with the system.
OK, so you say CPU is overheating:
Whats the temp reading while playing games?
What are you using to see the reading, HWiNFO, MSI Afterburner?

And yeah as Karadjgne wrote, MSI Dragon Center is usually very messy with the system.
I use HWinfo
It reads before it crashes the game 80C-
85C i think

I use HWinfo
It reads before it crashes the game 80C-
85C i think

When the game crash, Does Windows crash too and you have to restart the PC?

Im asking cause if you start HWiNFO Sensors Only, then start the Game and go play, and after 3 hours game crash (but only the game), HWiNFO should have the MAX temp reading value saved on the MAX column. So is not hard to see if its 80°C, 85°C or something else.

And while you use HWinfo, Whats the temp reading of the GPU after the game crash?, GPU is down there if you scroll down with your mouse.

Perhaps both CPU and GPu gets too hot cause you may not have good airflow on your case?

Also as veolictyg4 explained PB (Presicion Bost PB), which is like Intel's Turbo Boost, will boost your Ryzen CPU so it can reach 4.2GHz on 1 core and probably around 4.0GHz on all cores loads. Thats a standard behavior for Ryzen, like it is a for Intel CPUs with Turbo Boost.

Ryzen 2600X has a base clock of 3600MHz and 1 core boost speed of 4.2Ghz (https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600x). You can disable PB if you don't like it. Just like velocityg4 wrote.

Cheers