Question my ryzen 5 3400g crashes / my ram cannot run higher than 2666mhz

Nov 2, 2020
(pardon my English)

Hello, so I built my first pc and went for ryzen 5 3400g as a temporary cpu and gpu to collect some money and upgrade. Here's the other parts I bought with :

Asus prime b450m-a
Aorus 16gb (8x2) 3600 mhz
aerocool lux 550w 80+ bronze
seagate skyhawk 1tb HDD
and the ryzen 5 3400g.

However when I first got the pc there was no amd drivers installed ( only the motherboard ones) I took my time and installed the latest display drivers from Amd's official website and got my first game(nfs mw 2012) to test it out and the nightmare begins.

Everytime i run the game the screen crashes after 5 seconds of playing and even on desktop gives me some weird display glitches. I tried fresh installing windows 10 and updated the bios, nothing has changed. :(
even on minecraft if i put it on fullscreen it crashes :'(

my second problem is when i put DOCP profile on the rams and exit the bios the pc stops working (doesn't boot) and starts bootlooping then gives me a screen where it says something wrong happened with your pc, could be a.... (totally forgot what it says cuz its useless)
no error codes or anything. i even tried to run it on 2866 mhz on docp's settings and that didn't work. the pc can only go on 2666 mhz.

please help me

Nov 2, 2020
this is what I've been facing lately :(

Wh9UwWL.jpg
LRTIZ77.jpg
2khzofr.jpg

The Asus prime b450m-a is a low quality motherboard so I would start with the basics...

• Check the Asus website and make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the R5 3400g
  • Check that your memory is on the list of approved memory
  • Reset the BIOS to defaults and start with only optioning your boot drive
  • Re-seat your CPU cooler / apply fresh thermal paste
  • Test your power supply

Reactions: feki_69
Nov 2, 2020
The Asus prime b450m-a is a low quality motherboard so I would start with the basics...

• Check the Asus website and make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the R5 3400g
  • Check that your memory is on the list of approved memory
  • Reset the BIOS to defaults and start with only optioning your boot drive
  • Re-seat your CPU cooler / apply fresh thermal paste
  • Test your power supply
ive updated the bios and it didn't solve any of the 2 problems and i already reset it

i haven't faced any heating problems it was completely fine ( 50°c for a hot north african country)

ive updated the bios and it didn't solve any of the 2 problems and i already reset it

i haven't faced any heating problems it was completely fine ( 50°c for a hot north african country)

Try running your ram at it's default speed instead of running the DOCP profile.

I would download and install the motherboard drivers from AMDs website instead of using the ASUS ones. They are available in the same place GPU drivers are.

Did you notice the 3400g temps when the screen went checkerboard on you ?

Nov 2, 2020
Try running your ram at it's default speed instead of running the DOCP profile.

I would download and install the motherboard drivers from AMDs website instead of using the ASUS ones. They are available in the same place GPU drivers are.

Did you notice the 3400g temps when the screen went checkerboard on you ?

my pc can run on 2666mhz but i wanted to atleast run it at 2933 mhz for more performance. and the temps were stable nothing to worry about. the display crashes even on desktop idle. i checked event viewer and it says amd driver stopped working and successfully recovered. i also tried running the pc on an nvidia gpu and i haven't got any crashes. and i also tried downloading drivers from amd and asus every one of them on a fresh windows and it didn't do anything

Hello :)

You need to conduct a stress test to determine the culprit.
AIDA64 will test your CPU, FPU and Cache. Other tests are for GPU, RAM and Disk.
Run the test at stock frequency for 10 mins and report the results. I would want to see your thermals and rail voltages.
IMGUR can provide a link to any desktop pics you take at the 10min mark of the test.

You have 3600MHz OC Ram so pre profiles such as XMP or D.O.C.P will not work and a bootloop will occur.
There are no Aorus RAM kits listed on the Motherboard QVL so they are untested. This is not to say they won't work however you will have to manually enter your SPD values in Bios DRAM timing control.

I recommend you first update your Bios.

Nov 2, 2020
Hello :)

You need to conduct a stress test to determine the culprit.
AIDA64 will test your CPU, FPU and Cache. Other tests are for GPU, RAM and Disk.
Run the test at stock frequency for 10 mins and report the results. I would want to see your thermals and rail voltages.
IMGUR can provide a link to any desktop pics you take at the 10min mark of the test.

You have 3600MHz OC Ram so pre profiles such as XMP or D.O.C.P will not work and a bootloop will occur.
There are no Aorus RAM kits listed on the Motherboard QVL so they are untested. This is not to say they won't work however you will have to manually enter your SPD values in Bios DRAM timing control.

I recommend you first update your Bios.
i already updated the bios and neither of the problems were solved. i tried running Furmark to benchmark and it did crash like on the game and even when idle on desktop (the monitor refreshes) . i went to check event viewer and it says that the amd driver has stopped working and successfully recovered

Nov 2, 2020
Have you checked the list on ASUS website ? It's always better to use ram they approved if possible.

Also the integrated 3400g GPU should work...I would look at RMA for the chip but to be honest it could be the poor motherboard causing the issue.
as the guy above you said that the aorus ones weren't tested on the motherboard but that doesn't mean it wont work

jasonf2

Distinguished
The issues you are describing may be entirely RAM related. The first thing I would do is reset your bios to defaults and run it for a while. If it runs stable I would leave the ram clocks at spd. Ryzen can unfortunately be terribly finicky with RAM overclocks. The posted speeds of top shelf ram are almost always overclock speeds that not all boards and configurations can handle. Because of this I always recommend that you look at the compatibility tables released by the board manufacturer (QVL) before purchasing. They will give cpu/ram combinations that are verified.

Nov 2, 2020
The issues you are describing may be entirely RAM related. The first thing I would do is reset your bios to defaults and run it for a while. If it runs stable I would leave the ram clocks at spd. Ryzen can unfortunately be terribly finicky with RAM overclocks. The posted speeds of top shelf ram are almost always overclock speeds that not all boards and configurations can handle.
when the pc came, the rams were running at 2666mhz default and i faced the crashing problem with that clock speed

Nov 2, 2020
RAM issues will often show up as graphics corruption. Graphics pass a ton of info back and forth thru RAM and near stable systems will often show up there even when BSOD doesn't hit it right away.
my friend has the same motherboard and same ram manufacturer as well as the timing and things, the only thing different between his rams and mine is that his are 2600mhz and mine 3200 mhz and rgb. he is rocking the ryzen 5 1600af and he had no issue with overclocking thd ram with DOCP default

jasonf2

Distinguished
my friend has the same motherboard and same ram manufacturer as well as the timing and things, the only thing different between his rams and mine is that his are 2600mhz and mine 3200 mhz and rgb. he is rocking the ryzen 5 1600af and he had no issue with overclocking thd ram with DOCP default
If it were my machine I would set it back to bios defaults and run memtest86 to verify the ram. Like most RAM sticker brands Gigabyte doesn't manufacture the ram they repackage from what I can see to be Samsung Ics. The memory you have is not listed on the QVL with ASUS for that board and Ryzen is known not to play well with certain RAM timings / clocks. If you are enabling the DOCP/XMP on non qvl listed ram more than likely that is what is causing your instability if the RAM will work with the board at all. Memtest86 will verify it. If you friend has a different clock on his ram his timings and profiles are totally different than the ram you have.

Nov 2, 2020
If it were my machine I would set it back to bios defaults and run memtest86 to verify the ram. Like most RAM sticker brands Gigabyte doesn't manufacture the ram they repackage from what I can see to be Samsung Ics. The memory you have is not listed on the QVL with ASUS for that board and Ryzen is known not to play well with certain RAM timings / clocks. If you are enabling the DOCP/XMP on non qvl listed ram more than likely that is what is causing your instability if the RAM will work with the board at all. Memtest86 will verify it. If you friend has a different clock on his ram his timings and profiles are totally different than the ram you have.
me and my friend have the same ram manufacturer and the only thing different in our sticks is that his ones 2666 mhz and mine 3600 mhz

his : https://www.gigabyte.com/Memory/GIGABYTE-Memory-2666MHz#kf

mine : https://www.gigabyte.com/Memory/AORUS-RGB-Memory-16GB--2x8GB-3600MHz#kf

you can see the same timings and others. the only difference is in the clock speed

and yes I'm running at my DEFAULT BIOS (docp off too) and that doesn't fix the graphics problem