[SOLVED] my Ryzen 5 3600 unstable temperature idle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 28, 2020
my cpu temperature is super unstable . upon turning on my computer cpu temp starts at 63. after a second it will down to 55 and the temperature will continue to flactuate until the cpu shutdown itself.

Ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte 2080S
kingston 2x 8gb 2444mhz
b450 tomahawk max

Solution
sir i got my aftermarket cooler installed and my CPU temp is 69-78C while playing. but my CPU just shutdown. i dont think if its Overheat.

but when i Undervolt at 1.15. 3900GHz my temperature is @ 54only.

any idea? thanks

With temps never going over 78C it's definitely not temperature. 3900/1.15V is a significant underclock and not a fix by any means. Running at 54C just shows you that it's not working hard, which makes sense when underperforming badly.

A faulty PSU could be it: if you can get another PSU to test with. Or memory related even: try without memory OC's and one DIMM at a time to isolate the problem in case it is.

What makes you so certain it's the CPU that's shutting it down? The GPU could be causing it...

danielkzlai

Prominent
Dec 31, 2018
Hi, have you solved this problem yet?

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 as well, same CPU temperature fluctuation patterns as you are.

HWiNFO64 shows higher than normal power consumption at average. People are reporting 10W at idle but mine is at least 35W (was 55W+ under Ryzen High Performance power mode, now I've switched to Windows Balanced mode)

dimtodim

Reputable
my cpu temperature is super unstable . upon turning on my computer cpu temp starts at 63. after a second it will down to 55 and the temperature will continue to flactuate until the cpu shutdown itself.

Ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte 2080S
kingston 2x 8gb 2444mhz
b450 tomahawk max
pbo disable offset voltage -0.1 and buy better cpu cooler, case with good airflow add extra fans...use in power plan ryzen balance

Ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte 2080S
kingston 2x 8gb 2444mhz
b450 tomahawk max
Temperature spiking is normal for Ryzen as they boost to max clocks frequently from idle. You can't do anything to cool those spikes off, and many well intended suggestions are just going to limit boosting which will kill the processor's performance.

The best thing is to ignore the temp spikes as that's what Ryzen does. If it's making fans pulse you set flat curve with a fan speed that's barely audible up to about 65 or 70C then start ramping up from there. Ryzen's perfectly safe running up to the 90C (Tjmax is 95C), but it works better if you can cool it so it doesn't get out of the low 80's during heavy all-core processing.

Sep 28, 2020
Hi, have you solved this problem yet?

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 as well, same CPU temperature fluctuation patterns as you are.

HWiNFO64 shows higher than normal power consumption at average. People are reporting 10W at idle but mine is at least 35W (was 55W+ under Ryzen High Performance power mode, now I've switched to Windows Balanced mode)

hello
not yet. but for lowering the temp to 75c while gaming i reduce the voltage at ryzen master app and increase the ghz as well.

i follow the suggestions of the others to buy after market cooler.
as of now i order aftermarket AIR cooler.

will get back on to you on the result

maybe if you want you can lower your voltage for the mean time

hello
not yet. but for lowering the temp to 75c while gaming i reduce the voltage at ryzen master app and increase the ghz as well.
Don't worry about the temp's getting above 75. Even with better air cooling you'll not stop it peaking up into the 80's when gaming. The processor is perfectly safe doing that so long as you don't mess with a fixed voltage.

Forcing voltage lower to game is just hurting gaming performance. And actually more likely to harm the processor if it can't lower voltage when it needs to keep it from degrading. It has a highly functional self-protect mechanism that's designed to work well but only so long as it can vary the voltage. Fixing at any value above 1.2V means it can't do that.

A better way to limit temp, if you must, is to enable PBO (just enable and leave in AUTO or DEFAULT. With no other tweaks it's pretty much the same as leaving it disabled. Then adjust the Platform Thermal Limit to 80 or 85C. 75C hurts performance too much.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020
Temperature spiking is normal for Ryzen as they boost to max clocks frequently from idle. You can't do anything to cool those spikes off, and many well intended suggestions are just going to limit boosting which will kill the processor's performance.

The best thing is to ignore the temp spikes as that's what Ryzen does. If it's making fans pulse you set flat curve with a fan speed that's barely audible up to about 65 or 70C then start ramping up from there. Ryzen's perfectly safe running up to the 90C (Tjmax is 95C), but it works better if you can cool it so it doesn't get out of the low 80's during heavy all-core processing.
Don't worry about the temp's getting above 75. Even with better air cooling you'll not stop it peaking up into the 80's when gaming. The processor is perfectly safe doing that so long as you don't mess with a fixed voltage.

Forcing voltage lower to game is just hurting gaming performance. And actually more likely to harm the processor if it can't lower voltage when it needs to keep it from degrading.

yeah the gaming performance is suffering. But i need to Lower the volt down Due to overheating.

any tips for my settings. Actually. My problem is i cant hit 144fps in COD Warzone. I got 2080s but 120 average fps only.

any tips for my settings. Actually. My problem is i cant hit 144fps in COD Warzone. I got 2080s but 120 average fps only.

A better way to limit temp, if you must, is to enable PBO. Just enable and leave in AUTO or DEFAULT, with no other tweaks it's pretty much the same as leaving it disabled. Then adjust the Platform Thermal Limit to 80 or 85C. 75C hurts performance too much. Whatever you pick, leave voltage in AUTO, unchanged.

But don't fear temp...the processor is safe up to 95C, Tjmax, where it will throttle itself. But you really have no good reason to run with a CONSTANT STEADY temp above 90C. Hitting temperatures in the 80-85C range is something to expect; I set my platform limit at 85C.

Getting seriously good cooling helps, especially because you can then enable PBO and tweak it up to let it boost better. PBO increases heat output a lot and the higher temp means it just doesn't boost as well as it should (the processor's still working to protect itself, remember). So you won't see much more performance unless you ALSO have the much-better cooling.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020
Where can i see the platfor
A better way to limit temp, if you must, is to enable PBO. Just enable and leave in AUTO or DEFAULT, with no other tweaks it's pretty much the same as leaving it disabled. Then adjust the Platform Thermal Limit to 80 or 85C. 75C hurts performance too much. Whatever you pick, leave voltage in AUTO, unchanged.

But don't fear temp...the processor is safe up to 95C, Tjmax, where it will throttle itself. But you really have no good reason to run with a CONSTANT STEADY temp above 90C. Hitting temperatures in the 80-85C range is something to expect; I set my platform limit at 85C.
Where can i set the platform
Limit? In bios also?

And maybe after i install my aftercooler market i can back to default all the settings in bios. And apply this.
Actually i use hwinfo for checking of my temp. And while checking my average temp is 85(stock) but max temp is 93.

the reason why i undervolt is. I experience 2x auto shutdown when playing watchdogs2 ultra settings.

Where can i see the platfor

Where can i set the platform
Limit? In bios also?

Yes, those settings will be found in BIOS. and actually, I'm not sure where it will be in your BIOS. I have an MSI board and it's found as a sub-setting only when I enable the PBO settings, in the CPU Advanced Settings menu.

That 2080 is doubtless going to push a heavy load onto a 3600, so big-time cooling will help. 93C isn't hazardous bad but I totally agree it's preferable to keep below 90. It's probably running close to base clocks by that point.

Also, CPU die (average) temperature in HWInfo is the one to watch. By lowering voltage to keep the processor under 75 you've made it lower boosting all across it's range; so it's not boosting nearly as high or often as it can even for 75C. But setting a platform thermal limit lets it boost as it's supposed to at every temperature up to the limit.

Reactions: EmperorNostra
Sep 28, 2020
Yes, those settings will be found in BIOS. and actually, I'm not sure where it will be in your BIOS. I have an MSI board and it's found as a sub-setting only when I enable the PBO settings, in the CPU Advanced Settings menu.

That 2080 is doubtless going to push a heavy load onto a 3600, so big-time cooling will help. 93C isn't hazardous bad but I totally agree it's preferable to keep below 90. It's probably running close to base clocks by that point.

Also, CPU die (average) temperature in HWInfo is the one to watch.

thanks for the info. I’ll get back to you after i check my temps after installation of cooler.

I hope after installing the cooler i can get 150+fps in COD . Thanks sir

thanks for the info. I’ll get back to you after i check my temps after installation of cooler.
BTW...even running on stock cooling I don't feel you should be entering shut-down temperatures with stock settings. So if that is happening...shutting down due to hitting thermal trip limits, I mean...then something else is definitely at play here. The thing I'd worry about is that volcano dumping hot air into the case...the 2080...right next to an air cooler. If it's not being exhausted, any air cooler you get will just be using that blast furnace's exhaust to try and cool your CPU. So pay very careful attention to case airflow if you want to get such high FPS as you're looking for.

Either that...or go with a good front mounted AIO cooler if you can fit it in your case instead.

Sep 28, 2020
BTW...even running on stock cooling I don't feel you should be entering shut-down temperatures with stock settings. So if that is happening...shutting down due to hitting thermal trip limits, I mean...then something else is definitely at play here. The thing I'd worry about is that volcano dumping hot air into the case...the 2080...right next to an air cooler. If it's not being exhausted, any air cooler you get will just be using that blast furnace's exhaust to try and cool your CPU. So pay very careful attention to case airflow if you want to get such high FPS as you're looking for.

Either that...or go with a good front mounted AIO cooler if you can fit it in your case instead.

yes actually i got 3 intake and 3 exhaust . But the problem is the exhaust is at the upper part of the case and i feel that the 2080s is too hot. To be honest the ambiance inside of my case is one of the factor that im considering. Because of the 2080. But when i open the side panel. There is no changes from the cpu temp. So thats why there is Something bothers me,
The 1st time i under volt settings @1.1v And 2500ghz My temp in idle is 56-58 c
Gaming temp 65-70c but as you say it affects the performance in gaming

And right now my Settings is 3900ghz
1.145v .and i don’t know if this is under volt or OC.

yes actually i got 3 intake and 3 exhaust . But the problem is the exhaust is at the upper part of the case and i feel that the 2080s is too hot. To be honest the ambiance inside of my case is one of the factor that im considering. Because of the 2080. But when i open the side panel. There is no changes from the cpu temp. So thats why there is Something bothers me,
The 1st time i under volt settings @1.1v And 2500ghz My temp in idle is 56-58 c
Gaming temp 65-70c but as you say it affects the performance in gaming

And right now my Settings is 3900ghz
1.145v .and i don’t know if this is under volt or OC.
Sounds like it will fit: a front-mounted 240mm radiator AIO with intake fans sounds like the way I'd go. You can totally eliminate any concerns with GPU heating of the CPU that way. The CPU's heat being dumped back into the case is immaterial to a GPU, no effect. That's been true a long time, and really it's like throwing a match into a volcano with a 2080s.

But also, some cases are so obstructed up front even 3 fans aren't going to draw enough cool air into it to do much good. GN has railed on poor case designs like that for years.

It's technically an OC (since base clock is 3600) but also an undervolt since it would spike as high as 1.5V when boosting. But 1.145V is about as safe as you're going to get; recommended is 1.2V max. But it's gimped the CPU extremely badly and probably unstable. It's doubtless the reason you're not getting as good performance as you want.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020
Sounds like it will fit: a front-mounted 240mm radiator AIO with intake fans sounds like the way I'd go. You can totally eliminate any concerns with GPU heating of the CPU that way. The CPU's heat being dumped back into the case is immaterial to a GPU, no effect. That's been true a long time, and really it's like throwing a match into a volcano with a 2080s.

But also, some cases are so obstructed up front even 3 fans aren't going to draw enough cool air into it to do much good. GN has railed on poor case designs like that for years.

It's technically an OC (since base clock is 3600) but also an undervolt since it would spike as high as 1.5V when boosting. But 1.145V is about as safe as you're going to get; recommended is 1.2V max. But it's gimped the CPU extremely badly and probably unstable. It's doubtless the reason you're not getting as good performance as you want.

Thank you sir! I’ll try to run the game o base clocks only and will check if there’s any changes.

do you think 4000ghz and 1.30v is ok for a settings of oc?

I set my case fan rpm@1600 and i think its helping for cooling my unit but as i remember i just disabled my PBO as per the others it will help to cool the CPU . But i will re enable it and open at stock clock

Sep 28, 2020

sir i got my aftermarket cooler installed and my CPU temp is 69-78C while playing. but my CPU just shutdown. i dont think if its Overheat.

any idea? thanks

any idea? thanks

With temps never going over 78C it's definitely not temperature. 3900/1.15V is a significant underclock and not a fix by any means. Running at 54C just shows you that it's not working hard, which makes sense when underperforming badly.

A faulty PSU could be it: if you can get another PSU to test with. Or memory related even: try without memory OC's and one DIMM at a time to isolate the problem in case it is.

What makes you so certain it's the CPU that's shutting it down? The GPU could be causing it too, or badly installed drivers, and only when the CPU is pushing the GPU hard does it become apparent. A clean install might fix that: uninstall drivers, clean up with DDU and then re-install the latest.

Last edited:
Solution