[SOLVED] My Ryzen 5 5600X is underperforming and undervolting ?

Nov 11, 2021
Hello

I am having an issue with my CPU where, at random, it underperformes in games and it decreases it's temperatures at the same time, all on it's own.

When it runs normally, my CPU reaches around 60-75 degrees Celsius (varying from game to game), and when it decreases it's temperature it runs at 34-44 degrees Celsius while also decreasing my fps quite significantly. Also I have an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo as a cooler for the CPU.
This doesn't happen only while gaming, but when I am just using my PC in general as well.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for responding.

Here is my full build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC
PSU: Corsair TX-M Series TX750M 750W
Case: MSI MPG Gungnir 110R
Monitor: AOC 24G2U
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends International, LLC. A.50, 15/01/2021 (I got this from the "System Information" tab)

I tested The Witcher 2, which has the most significant impact. It goes from around 60 degrees Celsius to 34, and the FPS from 200 to 50.
I also tested The Witcher 3, but I noticed that it doesn't have that much of an impact there in terms of FPS, around a 10-20 FPS drop. But The temperatures go down to 34~ degrees, where they normally are...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

if you're on Windows 10, include the OS version(not edition). Include the BIOS version for your motherboard. If the PSU's been in service, include the age of the unit(apart from it's make and model). Include the games you're taxing the system with as well as the app's.

Nov 11, 2021

Here is my full build:

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends International, LLC. A.50, 15/01/2021 (I got this from the "System Information" tab)

I tested The Witcher 2, which has the most significant impact. It goes from around 60 degrees Celsius to 34, and the FPS from 200 to 50.
I also tested The Witcher 3, but I noticed that it doesn't have that much of an impact there in terms of FPS, around a 10-20 FPS drop. But The temperatures go down to 34~ degrees, where they normally are around in the 60-75 range.

While using Chrome, the temperatures are around 40-50 degrees max but when it's "underperforming" it goes down to 33-34. But I do not really notice a big difference while not gaming in terms of actual performance, just the temperatures.
Hopefully that covers everything.

Last edited:

Here is my full build:

I also tested The Witcher 3, but I noticed that it doesn't have that much of an impact there in terms of FPS, around a 10-20 FPS drop. But The temperatures go down to 34~ degrees, where they normally are around in the 60-75 range.

While using Chrome, the temperatures are around 40-50 degrees max but when it's "underperforming" it goes down to 33-34. But I do not really notice a big difference while not gaming in terms of actual performance, just the temperatures.
Hopefully that covers everything.

Suggest to update BIOS to the very latest.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

Reason being there have been several fixes on later BIOS's and it also improves compatibility with Windows 11.

Also update the chipset drivers and get them only from the AMD support web site.

Once you update BIOS be sure to reset CMOS.

Solution
Nov 11, 2021
Suggest to update BIOS to the very latest.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

Reason being there have been several fixes on later BIOS's and it also improves compatibility with Windows 11.

Also update the chipset drivers and get them only from the AMD support web site.

Once you update BIOS be sure to reset CMOS.
I updated the BIOS to the latest (non beta) version and also updated the chipset drivers successfully. But unfortunately the issue is still present and my CPU is still underperforming.

I updated the BIOS to the latest (non beta) version and also updated the chipset drivers successfully. But unfortunately the issue is still present and my CPU is still underperforming.
Have you double and triple checked cooler mounting? And the same for all electrical connections in the system? especially memory DIMM's that they are firmly and fully inserted.

What background applications are you running? Especially any utilities provided by the motherboard mfr. should be disabled or uninstalled. I'd also suggest uninstalling RyzenMaster if you installed it. Use HWInfo64 to monitor temperatures.

In a command prompt, with admin rights, type SFC/SCANNOW and let it look for and correct any system file corruption it finds.

Open Windows' troubleshooters (type TROUBLESHOOT SETTTINGS in Cortana Search box) and click on ADDITIONAL TROUBLESHOOTERS at bottom. Click on and run all the trouble shooters.

Nov 11, 2021
Have you double and triple checked cooler mounting? And the same for all electrical connections in the system? especially memory DIMM's that they are firmly and fully inserted.

What background applications are you running? Especially any utilities provided by the motherboard mfr. should be disabled or uninstalled. I'd also suggest uninstalling RyzenMaster if you installed it. Use HWInfo64 to monitor temperatures.

In a command prompt, with admin rights, type SFC/SCANNOW and let it look for and correct any system file corruption it finds.

Open Windows' troubleshooters (type TROUBLESHOOT SETTTINGS in Cortana Search box) and click on ADDITIONAL TROUBLESHOOTERS at bottom. Click on and run all the trouble shooters.
I checked every component on my system but everything seems to be in order. I even took the DIMM's out and reinstalled them but the issue is still not solved. The only component I can't check is the CPU itself but I really doubt that there is something wrong with the way it's installed onto the motherboard.

I run every troubleshoot you mentioned but nothing was out of the ordinary.

In my research I came across this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-my-ryzen-5-5600x-faulty.3673802/
I am not a PC expert at all, so I do not know what PROCHOT is, but could my issue be related to the one mentioned in this post?

Ryzen's CPU's are very dynamic in use so just looking clocks in monitoring utilities can be confusing. Run some benchmarks. I'd suggest Cinebench 20. Run both the single thread and the multi-thread benchmark.

Here's a chart showing typical scores so you can compare.

This is, of course, CPU only so it's isolated the GPU out of the picture. If you're still getting poor gaming then run some GPU benchmarks to see if that's got a problem instead. The best way to fix up gaming problems is often to do a complete clean re-install of GPU drivers after using DDU to uninstall them.

Nov 11, 2021
Well, I figured out what was wrong and found the solution.

I installed programs after I installed windows which affected my PC's performance without me knowing this fact. So I performed a format and deleted everything on my SSD and started from scratch, installing windows, downloading GPU drivers etc. The under performing issues have been fixed as well as the temperatures.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Well, I figured out what was wrong and found the solution.

I installed programs after I installed windows which affected my PC's performance without me knowing this fact. So I performed a format and deleted everything on my SSD and started from scratch, installing windows, downloading GPU drivers etc. The under performing issues have been fixed as well as the temperatures.
Oftentimes, a clean install of Windows is needed to fix up problems with the system.

But if the programs you'd installed previously are needed the problems they caused before might come back after reinstalling them. If you need those programs there will just be issues that need sorting if you're going to do so.

Nov 11, 2021
Oftentimes, a clean install of Windows is needed to fix up problems with the system.

But if the programs you'd installed previously are needed the problems they caused before might come back after reinstalling them. If you need those programs there will just be issues that need sorting if you're going to do so.
That won't be an issue, the programs were not necessary whatsoever and I won't be reinstalling them. Thank you for all the help and tips!

Reactions: drea.drechsler