Question My Ryzen 5 5600x won't post after PSU upgrade.

zel

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2014
Hi there,
I had some old thermaltake 450W SE psu installed in my rig. For now important is Ryzen 5 5600x and motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk.

I've read that my PSU is on avoid list so as I planned to buy later some new GPU I've decided to grab be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W as a replacement as soon as I found some nice deal on it (brand new ofc). I installed it, connected everything as it should be (I guess), plugged in, powered and... Well, this mobo has some nice fastcheck LED feature - my CPU led is bright red and won't go pass it. I had that problem earlier when building rig, I of course forgotten to plug my cpu plug back then. But I checked and... Well everything's good. I've checked the connections, moved the psu-plug to a second slot (it has two cpu slots to connect, in case you have mobo with some powerful power section I guess), moved PCIe power slot, unpinned and pinned all plugs once again, changed the CPU cable from 8 pin to 2x4 pin and still CPU is bright red. Fans start, GPU Fans and led also, hdd also.

So I guessed well maybe it is broken or something, so I switched back to old PSU. Connected mobo, CPU and GPU and... CPU is still red and PC won't boot.

Any tips? It's late so I haven't detached the CPU radiator and fans, but I don't think so I've physically destroyed anything, mobo seems intact.

zel

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2014
Newest or near newest. I did an update somewhere in october I guess. I try to keep my BIOS up-to-date constantly (I had really long post time on CPU and VGA, despite my m. 2 drive my PC in overall was slower to Windows screen that my old rigs with hdd, I hoped for some solution)

Edit: well... Nevermind. The pc seated for whole night without power, I connected it one last time and disconnected the front audio panel (read somewhere that someone has similiar issues and this helped) and... This piece of garbage started. I reconnected the front audio panel and still no issues. So maybe can someone tell me what the hell happended here? :)

Last edited: