My Ryzen 7 1700/GTX 1070 build performance SUCKS.

Chadoy

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
This build hasn't been performing as well as it should. Upgraded to these parts a while back and it's always been pretty crappy but now it's just annoying especially since I stream and record. I mainly play GTA and I average 40-50 fps but then in really intense situations It drops below 30 and even below 20 sometimes.
Build: Ryzen 7 1700 OC @3.9 ghz
GTX 1070 8GB
ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz
Corsair CX 750 W power supply
1TB HD
120 GB Samsung SSD

Solution
You may download the latest BIOS updates here for your specific motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/ Just make sure that your motherboard is the correct model.

Warning: Just ensure that BIOS flash does NOT get interrupted by anything, e.g blackout, because if anything interrupts the BIOS flash, you can brick your motherboard (Some motherboards have dual BIOS but this one may not).

1. When you have downloaded the latest BIOS, get a USB stick (make sure there's nothing inside it and single partition) and format it to FAT32. Then put the file inside the zip file (ends with .CAP) into the USB.

2. Now restart your PC to UEFI, go to Advanced Mode, go to the 'Tools' tab, and go to EZ Flash 3...

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Try flashing your motherboard's BIOS to the latest one, if you haven't already. The older BIOS versions have been causing the clock speeds to randomly throttle to as low as 1-2GHz, and can be easily fixed by updating your motherboard's BIOS.

If you don't know how to do so I should be able to give you steps, just let me know, or guides on the internet can.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you got a b350 mobo with a 1700

most b350 mobos have shit vrm and weak power delivery for the cpu

keep an eye on mobo temps and voltages, you may be throttling because of this

Chadoy

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

If you could walk me through it or give me steps it would be very much appreciated

Chadoy

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

I have the Ryzen Master program and it lets me take off the overclock when I want to. Even without the overclock it's still pretty garbage

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
You may download the latest BIOS updates here for your specific motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/ Just make sure that your motherboard is the correct model.

Warning: Just ensure that BIOS flash does NOT get interrupted by anything, e.g blackout, because if anything interrupts the BIOS flash, you can brick your motherboard (Some motherboards have dual BIOS but this one may not).

1. When you have downloaded the latest BIOS, get a USB stick (make sure there's nothing inside it and single partition) and format it to FAT32. Then put the file inside the zip file (ends with .CAP) into the USB.

2. Now restart your PC to UEFI, go to Advanced Mode, go to the 'Tools' tab, and go to EZ Flash 3 Update.

3. Choose USB as your method of updating the BIOS.

4. Look for the USB drive that contains the .CAP file, then select it. It will ask you to confirm the BIOS update. This is your last chance to check if the BIOS update is correct and specific for your motherboard. The link I have given you was for the PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard.

***From this point, you do NOT want anything interrupting the BIOS update/flash***

5. It will now proceed with the update. If it was successful, it will let you know, and that the system will restart.

6. Once it has restarted, it will return to the UEFI and you will get a prompt that you gotta select the same BIOS file to continue updating.

7. Repeat steps 3 and 4. After selecting the same BIOS once again, it will ask you to confirm if you really want to update the BIOS. If you want to continue, say yes.

8. It will process again, and will need to restart after it has successfully updated.

9. Once it has restarted, you are done. It may take you to the "American Megatrends" screen where it asks you to recover BIOS setting. Just proceed and change some settings to your likings (make sure you know what you are tweaking. Once you are finished, you may save and exit, and proceed to Windows.

Play the games that you usually play and check if you still get the same horrible performance. I hope this solution helped.

Solution

bricefleckenstein

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
If you are streaming at the time, THAT is your core issue - streaming video takes a LOT of hardware support.
Also, are you running 1 stick of RAM or 2? If you are running 1, that is ALSO a major performance hit.

Chadoy

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Sorry I forgot to respond and never had time to do this but now I am going to give it a try. Thank you so much for your help I will let you know if it works!

jaydutt247

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018

thanks dude you just fixed mine loam ive been searching for a solution and finally on a different post with similar spec you pop up thanks dude