Question my ryzen 7 2700 every now and then has a 10c temperature spike at idle.

Sep 24, 2019
Guys my ryzen 7 2700 every now and then has a 10c temperature spike at idle. It goes from 40 to 50c for a second and back to normal. Is it normal?
Also my cpu temps are 38-40 at idle and 55-63 when gaming. Are they good?

Thank you very much in advance.

there is rarely a true 'idle' within Windows for very long, as normal background tasks will often task a core or two with boosting to 1500, 2200, or even 3200 MHz or more during cloud sync operations, downloading of Windows updates, file indexing, or one of nearly hundreds of other tasks that might require a brief burst of activity to complete . One merely has to watch all the short lived tasks appear and then disappear within task manager to see that such behavior is 100% normal, and has been for years. (You just might not have noticed it unless/until staring at task manager's listed clock speeds)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dimnicks99
Sep 24, 2019
there is rarely a truel 'idle' within Windows for very long, as normal background tasks will often task a core or two with boosting to 1500, 2200, or even 3200 MHz or more during cloud sync operations, downloading of Windows updates, file indexing, or one of nearly hundreds of other tasks that might require a brief burst of activity to complete . One merely has to watch all the short lived tasks appear and then disappear within task manager to see that such behavior is 100% normal, and has been for years. (You just might not have noticed it unless/until staring at task manager's listed clock speeds)
So the sudden 10c temperature spike is not something I should be worried about?

I'd not sweat it, as odds are it accompanies a clock speed hike on one or more cores and likely a proportionate core voltage spike as well...

CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU can give a nice all core load if you want to see if overheating is an issue...; depending on your cooling, I'd be surprised if you broke 65C actual temps. (as opposed to some software readings which are intentionally inflated by +13C to keep fans ahead of the incoming heat load/curve)