[SOLVED] My Ryzen 7 3800x + RTX 3080 System is Not Performing Well...

Dec 15, 2020
Here are my specs from Steam:
Computer Information:
Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x17
CPU Model: 0x71
CPU Stepping: 0x0
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3893 Mhz
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
Windows 10 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
DirectX Driver Name: nvldumd.dll
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6079
DirectX Driver Version: 27.21.14.6079
Driver Date: 12 3 2020
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 144 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Revision: 0xa1
Number of Monitors: 3
Number of Logical Video Cards: 3
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 5760 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 20.75" x 11.65" (23.78" diag)
52.7cm x 29.6cm (60.4cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 10239 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Headset Earphone

Memory:
RAM: 32693 Mb

VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: Undetermined
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 5951528 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 1811352 Mb
Game Controller: None detected

Okay, now to the problem. It seems that some games I play are performing way below spec for my system. For example, GTA 5, at 1080p, high settings, runs at 60fps or LOWER. Usually hovering at around 55 fps.

My questions are;
1) How do I confirm if my system really is performing below spec, or if GTA is just an unoptimised game?

2) If it is performing below spec, how can I determine what is bottlenecking it?

3) What steps should I take to fix this issue? What should I try?

4) Please let me know if there is anything else that you need from me.

Edit 1: My motherboard is an Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4S.
Edit 2:
  • PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P850GM 850W
  • BIOS: Version 3.40 (This is the 2nd latest BIOS version. The new one released 5 days ago)
  • GPU Temp during GTA 5 - ~50 Degrees Celsius
  • CPU Temp during GTA 5 - ~70 Degrees Celsius
  • RAM Speed: 3600Mhz
Edit 3: I upgraded from a 2080 super to an rtx 3080. I used DDU to uninstall my GPU drivers and reinstall the correct ones.
Edit 4: User benchmark results - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37012305
Edit 5: Even though my desktop resolution is 5760x1080, my gaming monitor is 1920x1080 at 144hz. I just have 3 monitors. Additionally, I don't run any external programs aside from discord, Spotify, and voicemeeter.

Last edited:
Solution
At 1080p, a 3080 won't be hitting anywhere close to 100%. Heavyest gpu hitting game I own only took my gtx970 to 60%, unless I enable 4k DSR and then it goes to 99%.

Usage is not how much of the gpu is Used, but how much it Uses to get the job done. If that gpu is capable of supplying 100% at a 4k resolution, guaranteed its not going to be anywhere close to that when it only has to process ¼ of the pixel amount for 1080p. It won't use all its vram, all its bandwidth, all its cores either Cuda or tensor or rastor. It does not need to.

Usage is not a measure of Ability. It's a measure of Capacity. A frame takes a certain amount of time to render. The simpler the frame, the faster it can be rendered, the more frames can be rendered in...
My GPU nor CPU is using 100%. My CPU is around 60% where my GPU is close to 20%. The thing is, Red Dead Redemption 2 runs BEAUTIFULLY.
Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, you need to monitor each core/thread. It only takes 1 at 100% to limit performance.

Running a 3080 on a 1080p it will be very difficult to get it to run at 100%, the gpu is really too strong for that resolution. Even the best CPU’s cannot keep up with the frames that gpu could achieve at 1080p.

Dec 15, 2020
Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, you need to monitor each core/thread. It only takes 1 at 100% to limit performance.

Running a 3080 on a 1080p it will be very difficult to get it to run at 100%, the gpu is really too strong for that resolution. Even the best CPU’s cannot keep up with the frames that gpu could achieve at 1080p.

Running RDR2 uses almost 100% of both.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thing I dislike about userbenchmark is its comparison base. The ram could simply be 'under-peforming' due to the fact its timings are set for CL18, whereas many with that Cas Ram maybe using Dram Calculator to grab a CL16 set of timings. In comparison, you'd be slower.

I see nothing wrong with the system, what my question would be is are you using GeForce Experience to optimize the game and it's setting Raytracing on, a 4k DSR etc which can drop fps faster than a hot-potato.

Dec 15, 2020
Thing I dislike about userbenchmark is its comparison base. The ram could simply be 'under-peforming' due to the fact its timings are set for CL18, whereas many with that Cas Ram maybe using Dram Calculator to grab a CL16 set of timings. In comparison, you'd be slower.

I see nothing wrong with the system, what my question would be is are you using GeForce Experience to optimize the game and it's setting Raytracing on, a 4k DSR etc which can drop fps faster than a hot-potato.

No. Raytracing is off. Playing purely on 1080p, not even at max settings. MSAA is on 0, FXAA 0, TSAA 0, etc

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Thing I dislike about userbenchmark is its comparison base.
With Userbenchmark you need to look under the benchmark tab which gives a kinda objective result, what is said under the partname is the subjective result compared to other similar parts where you don't know what the difference might be like overclocking or maybe in the case of ram even memory controller of the cpu, maybe even just motherboard/bios.

In his case it says 93.2% Outstanding when it comes to ram so it works fine.

Dec 23, 2020
My GPU nor CPU is using 100%. My CPU is around 60% where my GPU is close to 20%. The thing is, Red Dead Redemption 2 runs BEAUTIFULLY.
you can go to the nvidia control panel go to manage 3d settings, then go to power management mode and set it to prefer maximum preformance i think this should fix the gpu using 20% and should hopefully go 100% or around that much. Your gpu is pretty strong so it might be a bit less than 100% but i think it should be at least around 60-100% for 1080p and should be like 80-100% 1440p and 90-100% 4k.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020
you can go to the nvidia control panel go to manage 3d settings, then go to power management mode and set it to prefer maximum preformance i think this should fix the gpu using 20% and should hopefully go 100% or around that much. Your gpu is pretty strong so it might be a bit less than 100% but i think it should be at least around 60-100% for 1080p and should be like 80-100% 1440p and 90-100% 4k.

It's already on that setting

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
At 1080p, a 3080 won't be hitting anywhere close to 100%. Heavyest gpu hitting game I own only took my gtx970 to 60%, unless I enable 4k DSR and then it goes to 99%.

Usage is not how much of the gpu is Used, but how much it Uses to get the job done. If that gpu is capable of supplying 100% at a 4k resolution, guaranteed its not going to be anywhere close to that when it only has to process ¼ of the pixel amount for 1080p. It won't use all its vram, all its bandwidth, all its cores either Cuda or tensor or rastor. It does not need to.

Usage is not a measure of Ability. It's a measure of Capacity. A frame takes a certain amount of time to render. The simpler the frame, the faster it can be rendered, the more frames can be rendered in a second. Has nothing to do with the amount of resources the gpu needs to use to render that frame. Has everything to do with the Ability of the gpu to render that frame. A stronger, faster gpu can render a frame faster than a weaker, slower gpu, but either might only need to use 20% of available resources to do so.

Solution