[SOLVED] My ryzen computer is freezing (new setup)

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hello my friends,

I really need your help because I'm going crazy now, I've just got a new build as follow:
Cpu: Ryzen 7 1800x
Cpu cooler: Master liquid lite 120mm
GPU: GTX 1070 ti Asus Rog strix
Mobo: Gigabyte b450 ds3h
Ram: Patriot viper 2x8gb 2666 MHz white RGB
SSD: Kingston 128gb
PSU: Cx500w bronze plus

There are a few days I've built it, at the begining everything was perfect and the computer worked as a machine, but after a few days it started freezing, at the begining it was only once or twice per night but it became more often and now it freezes always, I've master reset my OS but nothing changed, I simply don't know what to do and looks like all my investment went to trash.

Can someone please help me ? I'm desperate and disappointed at the same time

Solution

Memtest86 is much better than Windows memory test. But the problem with failing motherboards is that it is going to take you a while to see the random crashes from memtest. When my motherboard started to fail, I could run 40 hours straight on memtest86 before the stupid thing hardlock and hang in the middle of memtets86. After a week of testing and retesting, it got worse, or rather it would crash faster usually an overnight run of 10 hours or so. By the third week it was crashing every 2 hours when I ran memtest, and finally got to the...

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Dear friend,

It occurs mostly on idle, usually when computer is stopped, sometimes on bios settings or navigating on browser, never happens on full load and cpu temperatures are mostly 56°C and GPU 50 to 60°C, on full load cpu doesn't even get up to 60°C and GPU on 72°C (maximum temperatures), but as I said it happens not on full load so I really think temperature is not the problem

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
I'll try to run ram memory test and will let you know, about the speed I can let it 2133 MHz or 2666 MHz, I've tried both options but nothing changed
Furthermore this ram is a brand new one, bought about 1 month ago so think it hardly would be the problem

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Ok so I've done the ram memory test and everything is ok, also I've changef my ssd with another operational system and the same keeps occurring, out of sudden it freezes and I have to restart it, it's completely random, what can I do ?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Memtest86 is much better than Windows memory test. But the problem with failing motherboards is that it is going to take you a while to see the random crashes from memtest. When my motherboard started to fail, I could run 40 hours straight on memtest86 before the stupid thing hardlock and hang in the middle of memtets86. After a week of testing and retesting, it got worse, or rather it would crash faster usually an overnight run of 10 hours or so. By the third week it was crashing every 2 hours when I ran memtest, and finally got to the point where would hang in Bios, crash in 5 minutes or less. It was never the memory, it all came down to the motherboard. The process is time consuming and very aggravating.

So to save you time and aggravation, swap out those flaky ryzen boards fast. Get that refund exchange before your 14 day, 30 day period expires. In the past 18 months I had worked with 6 Ryzen boards, 3 of them failed. That is 50% fail rate. Their quality control is horrid, didn't matter which brand. I went thru ASRock, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. The random crashes only gets worse. It was better when it was just DOA.

Solution

guilhermefurlan

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Dear friends,

Just took my computer to the tech place, they told problem is mobo, Chipset is literally frying lol
I'll try to rma it or replace it for another one with the store.

Just like our friend told above, the problem just got worse, started freezing 1 time till the point where it would freeze in 5 minutes.

I don't know if this is the only problem, but I believe and hope it is the problem.

Now if I have to get a new board, what would you get ? Good quality one ? And if possible a320 since I wouldn't like to spend much more money on it.

Even though I have build dozens of PCs with both 300 & 400 series without issues, I would suggest (like suggested above) to consider the B400 series boards, you will encounter less issues.