[SOLVED] My Ryzen PC started to smell like smoke after benchmarking while PBO on and RAM with xmp

thephenom696

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
My Ryzen 5 2600 pc with the following specs:

550W Seasonic Focus Plus
Ryzen 5 2600,
2933mhz ram
B450M Mortar mobo
Msi 1050Ti 4gb OC
500gb pcie ssd

The smoke smell started after this - I enabled PBO and clocked ram at 2933mhz

After this, I get the magic smoke smell at benchmarking with R20 Cinebench. Fkin yikes! I turn it off quickly. Temps were fine. Now every time under cpu load, I get the same magic smoke smell, tf? I am so scared, what will I do

Solution

550W Seasonic Focus Plus
Ryzen 5 2600,
2933mhz ram
B450M Mortar mobo
Msi 1050Ti 4gb OC
500gb pcie ssd

After this, I get the magic smoke smell at benchmarking with R20 Cinebench. Fkin yikes! I turn it off quickly. Temps were fine. Now every time under cpu load, I get the same magic smoke smell, tf? I am so scared, what will I do

Look inside in the area of the VRM for black/charred components. Also on the back of the motherboard for darkened areas in the vicinity of the VRM.

Also sniff the exhaust air of the PSU to see if it's coming from there.

This would be a defect as a 2600 should not draw enough...

550W Seasonic Focus Plus
Ryzen 5 2600,
2933mhz ram
B450M Mortar mobo
Msi 1050Ti 4gb OC
500gb pcie ssd

Look inside in the area of the VRM for black/charred components. Also on the back of the motherboard for darkened areas in the vicinity of the VRM.

Also sniff the exhaust air of the PSU to see if it's coming from there.

This would be a defect as a 2600 should not draw enough current from the VRM of a B450 Mortar to damage it even under PBO unless something failed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS