[SOLVED] My Samsung 970 Evo Plus is no longer recognized in the bios but still boots up.

Logick

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
This seems to be a continuation of my previous issue. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sizable-bar-causing-ocassional-bsods.3715946/

Overview of setup
CPU: i9-9900k
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master (updated to latest bios)
RAM: 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX c15 clocked to 2666mhz
GPU: MSI Gaming X RTX 3090 (updated to latest bios)
Boot Drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb NVMe (updated to latest bios)

So I got a new Samsung 970 evo Plus 1TB and its been working like a charm. Bios saw it, Samsung Magician saw it, etc. But recently Samsung Magician says the device canot get info from it stating "SSD information could not be verified due to system compatibility issues. Please check information". I went into my bios and noticed it is no longer displayed in the list of m.2 drives. But I can still boot to it. Any idea what could be doing this?

UPDATE: Looking at this reddit post, I did have to roll back a windows update since my updater stopped working, could this be it? If the solution posted here is the solution, is there a way to do it without redoing all my windows settings from scratch?
z390 Bios not recognising M.2 SSD, but windows knows it's there

Thank you

7ptGjqd.png

Last edited:
Solution
I believe they've tried that. Im only learning in this field and it appears if storage config in bios is set to Intel rst the ssd is set differently to conventional ahci and Samsung nvme driver won't recognise the ssd refusing to install due to not being in ahci mode. Only going by rst being involved since Windows insists on reinstalling this driver so storage controller must be set that way?. Performance should be fine though really, but other's have said ahci + Samsung driver is a bit better though, how much i don't know, just what I've been reading but wouldn't be a great deal. Changing such option in bios will probably result in Windows reinstall, if so, is it worth the trouble? Maybe if os install is new and not much time and...
This seems to be a continuation of my previous issue. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sizable-bar-causing-ocassional-bsods.3715946/

Overview of setup
CPU: i9-9900k
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master (updated to latest bios)
RAM: 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX c15 clocked to 2666mhz
GPU: MSI Gaming X RTX 3090 (updated to latest bios)
Boot Drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb NVMe (updated to latest bios)

So I got a new Samsung 970 evo Plus 1TB and its been working like a charm. Bios saw it, Samsung Magician saw it, etc. But recently Samsung Magician says the device canot get info from it stating "SSD information could not be verified due to system compatibility issues. Please check information". I went into my bios and noticed it is no longer displayed in the list of m.2 drives. But I can still boot to it. Any idea what could be doing this?

UPDATE: Looking at this reddit post, I did have to roll back a windows update since my updater stopped working, could this be it? If the solution posted here is the solution, is there a way to do it without redoing all my windows settings from scratch?
z390 Bios not recognising M.2 SSD, but windows knows it's there

Thank you

7ptGjqd.png
Also update disk's NVME driver, you can find it at Samsung site. https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evoplus/

Logick

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
This is a continuation on this post. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nized-in-the-bios-but-still-boots-up.3720711/

Basically I got a Samsung 970 Evo plus 1tb that Samsung Magician cannot identify
7ptGjqd.png

The problem turned out to be somehow I installed the intel NVME drivers.
qtGgTsl.png

Looking at my device Manager that is correct
30fS76v.png

I cannot install the Samsung drivers since the install doesn't let me through saying it cannot identify the SSD. I removed the intel drivers only to have them come back at install. And I cannot find the micrsoft ones anywhere online. Any idea what I can do?

Thank you

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Have you installed the NVME Driver? Once you insert it, it should automatically read it as it installs the driver.

If not then try installing the driver through the samsung website by downloading the driver from there

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I believe they've tried that. Im only learning in this field and it appears if storage config in bios is set to Intel rst the ssd is set differently to conventional ahci and Samsung nvme driver won't recognise the ssd refusing to install due to not being in ahci mode. Only going by rst being involved since Windows insists on reinstalling this driver so storage controller must be set that way?. Performance should be fine though really, but other's have said ahci + Samsung driver is a bit better though, how much i don't know, just what I've been reading but wouldn't be a great deal. Changing such option in bios will probably result in Windows reinstall, if so, is it worth the trouble? Maybe if os install is new and not much time and effort configuring games and stuff.

Solution