• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question My Samsung A50 won't charge, tried with different cables, power outlets, and even tried cleaning the port itself.

May 22, 2020
Hi! I've been trying for a couple of days now, but my samsung just won't charge at all. There were times that I could turn it on, and when I had it plugged in, it would be on indefinitely but I wouldn't be able to unplug it. The battery (at that state) remained at a constant 0, and using Ampere, it says that it was charging at 0mA. I've tried with different cables and bought a new one as well, but no dice. Using different outlets didn't seem to work either. I saw the port was a bit dirty, so I tried cleaning it out a bit too, but it still didn't seem to be working.

I'm confused because the port doesn't seem loose, and nothing seems to bent. I could dangle the phone while its plugged in, so I don't see where the problem lies. The phone isn't even that old yet (barely a year, I think?). I've seemed to come to a dead end here.

The COVID lockdown isn't helping either, as I can't go out to get it serviced. I can't even go out anymore because I don't have a car or any means of transportation as I generally rely on online transportation and payment, so this is becoming a huge problem for me.

May 22, 2020
Some phone chargers have detachable cable, others have captive cable. hence my question.
Oh, I see what you mean now. Both of the chargers I had were detachable so yes, I did use a completely new head and cable, and even switched around new head with old cable and vice versa, but it's still not increasing. Also, to clarify, it is technically charging and does show that it is charging, but the battery percentage is still at 0, even if I left it to charge all night.

Phillip Corcoran

Titan
Oh, I see what you mean now. Both of the chargers I had were detachable so yes, I did use a completely new head and cable, and even switched around new head with old cable and vice versa, but it's still not increasing. Also, to clarify, it is technically charging and does show that it is charging, but the battery percentage is still at 0, even if I left it to charge all night.
To me that sounds like a worn-out battery which has reached the end of it's useful life and can no longer accept a charge --- that is to say, it's no longer rechargeable. Not saying that's it for sure, but definitlely a possibility.

May 22, 2020
To me that sounds like a worn-out battery which has reached the end of it's useful life and can no longer accept a charge --- that is to say, it's no longer rechargeable. Not saying that's it for sure, but definitlely a possibility.
I can't rule it out of being a possibility, but it was confusing, as there seemed to be no indication that it was even near to its end of usefulness. In fact, a week ago it was charging just fine, but when I went to plug it in again, it seemed to not want to charge. The cable was definitely at fault as the old cable I used had a light indicator, and it was blinking. As soon as I used a different head, the old cable worked and kept it at 0% indefinitely while being on. So, I don't really know what's truly causing this to happen, aside from what you suggested.

Phillip Corcoran

Titan
If it's any consolation or indication, I should add that I've never known a mobile phone need a new battery.

Laptops yes, but not a phone.

But a faulty phone (which is also a possibility) I've come across loads of them. My son-in-law has had to send two Samsung's back for exchange in the past 12 months, yet I've had my Sony Xperia for 8 years now and it's never missed a beat.

May 22, 2020
If it's any consolation or indication, I should add that I've never known a mobile phone need a new battery.

Laptops yes, but not a phone.

But a faulty phone (which is also a possibility) I've come across loads of them. My son-in-law has had to send two Samsung's back for exchange in the past 12 months, yet I've had my Sony Xperia for 8 years now and it's never missed a beat.
I see. It could be a faulty phone, but after checking the receipt for any warranties, I have been using the phone for a year and a half now. I'm not sure if that makes it any less of a possibility that it's a faulty phone, but it still baffles me as to how nothing at first glance seems to be the cause of the issue.

Phillip Corcoran

Titan
"but it still baffles me as to how nothing at first glance seems to be the cause of the issue"

Whatever is causing the problem could be an internal component, tiny transistors & diodes etc.
Hardly the sort of thing you're gonna see "at first glance", or even see at all with the naked eye.

I hope you'll excuse me leaving this thread now -- I've nothing more to offer in the way of help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY