Question My SATA drives arent detected when intel optane memory is in my system.

Servs

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
I recently bought an intel optane drive and when I tried booting my pc with it installed (yes i checked to make sure the mobo and slot supported optane) it booted fine except it gave me the no boot device error and wasnt recognizing any of my 4 SATA devices, just my optane memory and my m.2 ssd. After removing the optane drive everything worked perfectly. Is the optane drive a bad egg?

Motherboard: MSI X299 Tomahawk AC
SSD 1: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
SSD2: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
SSD 3: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
SSD 4: WD Blue 250GB
HDD 1: Seagate 4TB 5900RPM

PS- I know i have a weird cluster of drives haha :sweatsmile:

Is it safe to assume the fastest SSD (the 970 EVO) is the one containing your OS?

The Optane (is this one of the useless little 32 GB affairs?) is useless anyway in such a scenario....

Intended to be used with a slow HDD, there are precise procedures to offload commonly used files from a slow HDD to the Optane, thereby accelerating the process almost to like having a decent SSD.

If you are rendered unbootable, I'd have to assume your MB is attempting to boot from it, but, as it contains nothing,...well, nothing happens..

Directions for use with a slow spinner drive commence below at 2:35
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6p7xfhVPp0

(FYI, as for your description of ' system booted fine but gave me 'no boot device' error when turned on.... When a system is powered on, it performs various initialization self tests, hopefully giving a display and POST results; it is not really accurate to say it 'boots fine but... does not boot' :)

Servs

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
Is it safe to assume the fastest SSD (the 970 EVO) is the one containing your OS?

The Optane (is this one of the useless little 32 GB affairs?) is useless anyway in such a scenario....

Intended to be used with a slow HDD, there are precise procedures to offload commonly used files from a slow HDD to the Optane, thereby accelerating the process almost to like having a decent SSD.

If you are rendered unbootable, I'd have to assume your MB is attempting to boot from it, but, as it contains nothing,...well, nothing happens..

Directions for use with a slow spinner drive commence below at 2:35
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6p7xfhVPp0

(FYI, as for your description of ' system booted fine but gave me 'no boot device' error when turned on.... When a system is powered on, it performs various initialization self tests, hopefully giving a display and POST results; it is not really accurate to say it 'boots fine but... does not boot' :)
Im actually not using the 970 EVO as the OS drive, its used for games only and i use a 860 evo as an os drive. personally i prefer to be the first person to the character selection screen in Rainbow Six Siege. Im using the optane memory (16gb) to accelerate the 4TB HDD. I understand the motherboard trying to boot from the optane memory but that doesnt really explain why the other SATA drives dont show up in the bios when the optane memory is inserted, which is the only real issue im having. If my system would actually detect the other sata devices when he optane memory is inserted id already have everything working. Not sure where to go from here...

According to the manual, if you install PCIe/NVMe drives in both M2_1 and M2_2, then SATA 5, SATA 6, SATA 7 and SATA 8 are disabled. If you install a SATA M.2 drive in M2_1 then SATA 1 is also disabled.

SATA 2, SATA 3, and SATA 4 should always work but you have more drives than this.