Question My sata HDD and NVME SSD died, what is the cause?

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Recently both my 1tb sata 2.5 hdd and my 500gb nvme ssd died at nearly the same time (1 day difference iirc). The hdd is about 1 year old and is a seagate, but my ssd is brand new. My psu is Aerocool lux 550w modular, yes it's a crappy one and I've been warned about it but that's the only one that fit my budget when I built my system.

My question:
  1. Is it really my psu that kill my drive?
  2. I use trial version of primocache, is it a possible cause? I use 100gb of the ssd as cache drive so maybe? I suspect this because the ssd that isn't directly connected to psu also died.
  3. I am planning to buy any of these psu if the psu is really the problem. EVGA 500BQ semi modular 500w, enermax revobron 500w semi modular, cougar lx500 500w fully modular. Is any of this good? Which one do you recommend between those 3?

My Spec:
Asrock B450m steel legend
Ryzen 5 3500
Inno3d gtx1070 8GB x2
Team Vulcan Z 2x8GB 3000Mhz
Lexxar pcie 500GB SSD(on RMA)

baihaqi.m0

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
I will probably sell the old one first if I do buy a new psu and my current psu is in good condition. So I won't be using the old cables.

I place my drive in the tray behind motherboard, it's intended for sata ssd and is a bit cramped but it fit because my hdd is 2.5", do you think this could be a problem? Or it's just you know a seagate thing?

Last edited: