[SOLVED] My screen resolution can't go higher than 1280x1024

Oct 3, 2018
Last night my screen was fine. I'm always use 1366x768, because the Windows says it's the recommended resolution.

But when I start my computer today, the screen resolution suddenly change to 1280x1024.
The Windows says it's the recommended resolution.

But when I try to change the resolution back to 1366x768, my monitor says "Input not supported".
And my screen can't go higher than 1280x1024

Solution
What has changed?
Perhaps windows 10 has pushed out a less than optimal graphics driver.
What is your graphics card, monitor, and monitor connection.

You could download the appropriate driver from the web site and reinstall.

Or, possibly you can use system restore to reset back to a point when all was well.

A remote possibility is that your monitor attachment cable is not good.
What has changed?
Perhaps windows 10 has pushed out a less than optimal graphics driver.
What is your graphics card, monitor, and monitor connection.

You could download the appropriate driver from the web site and reinstall.

Or, possibly you can use system restore to reset back to a point when all was well.

A remote possibility is that your monitor attachment cable is not good.

Solution

ultrautoob

Honorable
Jan 24, 2018

For a (at least) temporary fix, set a custom resolution. There are many tutorials on youtube for this, here's what I recommend:

Nvidia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5ivfe-NBQ

Radeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imBs1Ux34to

If you don't know if you're graphics card is from Nvidia or Radeon, reply to this saying so. Otherwise, set the costum resolution to 1366x768 and then go back to display and you should see this resolution option appear.

This is what happens when no driver is installed and you are running the "Standard VGA adapter" or “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.”

It is likely that an update has uninstalled or disabled your drivers, possibly because they were too old, and that a reinstall with the latest drivers would solve it.