Question My screen shows vertical lines, PC stops functioning in the middle of gameplay

timbal

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Since yesterday midnight, I couldn't play any videogames for more than 10 or 15 minutes before vertical lines cover the entire monitor.
This issue started when I was editing models in Source Filmmaker - in the middle of the session, the screen showed thin grey and black vertical lines, the system couldn't respond, even the lighting on my keyboard became static.

Jxtl4LC.jpg

After this, the PC couldn't start up after any reboot, the monitor didn't get any signal, and keyboard and mouse would stop lighting after a while, and sometimes even the system wouldn't restart after pressing the restart button on my computer case, only the turn off button would respond!

However, after 1 hour, the system could start up again like normal, and I went sleeping.

In the afternoon, I started playing VALORANT with my friends, and the same issue occurred again: the screen showed thin grey and black vertical lines, the buttons on my keyboard couldn't respond, the waving rainbow lighting of the keyboard stopped moving and became static. In addition, I couldn't hear my friends speaking on Discord, but I was hearing a loud buzzing sound. After a few reboots, the PC finally came back to life again, much quicker than last time. I started playing VALORANT again, but also the system froze again, but unlike previously, the screen still showed the game.
Video of the said problem

I stopped playing for one day, and I also have updated my AMD graphics card firmware to the latest version (20.4.2).

Today, I started editing in Source Filmmaker again, but after about 15 minutes in, the screen showed the vertical lines again, but at this time it was yellow! Also, I was listening to Spotify, and it didn't produce buzzing sounds, it played the music normally instead, but it went silent a little later. Moreover, the keyboard was functioning normally until a minute later, when the colors went static. Video of the yellow lines

So I can do anything on the computer as long as it's not a videogame, but it's awful, and I hope this issue will somehow be resolved very soon!!

My specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Available OS Memory: 8086MB RAM
I'll provide more information if needed.

May 7, 2020
I have the same problem as you are.. my occurs when playing l4d but not crash in l4d2 and cs 1.6.
The crash only occurs when an app demands more juice on a videocard or a power supply is failling.. I tried switching my psu into a new one and it works.. My pc from 10minutes gameplay(before crashing) turns into more than 5hours.. but suddenly my pc crashed again (Like your problem too) idk if my psu is failing or gpu.. I recommend you to switch your videocard into a new one/other videocard OR try replacing your powersupply.

Reactions: timbal
May 7, 2020
I have the same problem as you are.. my occurs when playing l4d but not crash in l4d2 and cs 1.6.
The crash only occurs when an app demands more juice on a videocard or a power supply is failling.. I tried switching my psu into a new one and it works.. My pc from 10minutes gameplay(before crashing) turns into more than 5hours.. but suddenly my pc crashed again (Like your problem too) idk if my psu is failing or gpu.. I recommend you to switch your videocard into a new one/other videocard OR try replacing your powersupply.
Mine, when a crash occurs my system can be restarted.. yours is different but try what I recommend sir.. your results can help my problem too.. thanks

timbal

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Few days ago I brought the PC into a computer service shop, and the computer repairer said that the problem has to do with overheating, and one of the fans are not working well for almost a year or so. So he ordered a new fan, replaced it with the older one, and after multiple GPU performance maximizing tests, the AMD GPU was working well, however when he screwed the back of the the computer case back in, the same problem occurred like before. The video card's is also problematic, as it's already five years old and used out many times. Fortunately, I can still use the motherboard's GPU which is an Intel card, although the VRAM is 1 GB less than the AMD. Anyway, I'm gonna build a new PC in late 2020, when RTX 3070 is already out.