[SOLVED] My screen went blank, then my GPU turned its fans to the maximum

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I was just watching some videos, when this happened, I admit i got scared and turned my pc off instantly. Now when i turn it back on there is no signal. I use display ports, and i tried both of the ports on my gpu,but nothing. Any ideas what happened? I have a MSI GTX 1080ti.

Solution
Sounds like a hard reboot. Anytime this happens two things are suspect.

1. Thermals (CPU and/or GPU)
  2. Power supply

Take a look at your thermals first. If you are seeing anything hitting above 90 Celsius while running or 60-80 while idle you will need to make repairs. The equipment to properly look at a PSU is a bit more involved and pretty expensive, but if you load into bios you should be able to look at the board voltages for an educated guess. If you voltages are out of spec it is a pretty good indicator that the problem is there as well. Post your thermal and voltage values and we will take a look at them. I couldn't find anything particular bad about the PSU, but the model looks to be pretty old. This is all...

jasonf2

Distinguished
Sounds like a hard reboot. Anytime this happens two things are suspect.

1. Thermals (CPU and/or GPU)
  2. Power supply

Take a look at your thermals first. If you are seeing anything hitting above 90 Celsius while running or 60-80 while idle you will need to make repairs. The equipment to properly look at a PSU is a bit more involved and pretty expensive, but if you load into bios you should be able to look at the board voltages for an educated guess. If you voltages are out of spec it is a pretty good indicator that the problem is there as well. Post your thermal and voltage values and we will take a look at them. I couldn't find anything particular bad about the PSU, but the model looks to be pretty old. This is all assuming that you just had a black screen reboot and not a bsod.

Solution