My Seagate 1TB external hard drive is no longer working and this is why I have an external hard drive so all my files are safe

chariot7

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I have a HP Envy laptop computer that is only about 18 months old, so I know it isn't the computer, this external hard drive is only the second one I have ever had, the original Seagate lasted more than 10 years. I need to know how to get my files off of this external hard drive and when I do, I will not be buying another one.

Solution
Your files are never safe if they are only stored in one place. Everything breaks and you have to plan for that eventuality. Multiple copies, stored on different devices and different locations are the key. My important files are stored in at least 5 backup locations. My pc, the server, server backup drive, dvd's kept in my basement, dvd's kept in my sisters basement, and an external backup harddrive (simply because reading from DVD's is so slow).

If the driveis recognized then see if Recuva can rescue your files. You will need another drive to restore them to.

popatim

Titan
Your files are never safe if they are only stored in one place. Everything breaks and you have to plan for that eventuality. Multiple copies, stored on different devices and different locations are the key. My important files are stored in at least 5 backup locations. My pc, the server, server backup drive, dvd's kept in my basement, dvd's kept in my sisters basement, and an external backup harddrive (simply because reading from DVD's is so slow).

If the driveis recognized then see if Recuva can rescue your files. You will need another drive to restore them to.

Solution
Hi there chariot7,

I would totally agree with popatim. You should always keep the data you can't afford to loose stored on several places.
Apart from that, it would be nice to provide some more information on the issue you are facing.

Is the drive recognized by Disk Management and how? Here's how you can go to Disk Management: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=oEePWn
In case it is recognized by it has damaged partitions/file system, you can use some data recovery tool. You can check the one popatim suggested out.

If the drive is not recognized by Disk Management, you can attach the drive to another system with a different USB cable.

Let us know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)