My Seagate 1TB Hard Drive won't show up in My Computer or Disk Management but it does show up at Device Manager

altheamangasar

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Hello! I really need help :(

My Hard Drive is recognized as "Seagate Expansion USB" under Disk Drives but it doesn't show up at all under My Computer or Disk Management.

I tried using DISKPART as a solution but it still didn't identify itself. I had plugged it in all available USB Ports but still nothing. I also had done the whole uninstall gray devices solution but still nothing.

I really need the files on this drive and couldn't bring myself to format it (even if I would, I still couldn't since it doesn't show up as anything)

Please I really need help on this.

It's impossible to tell at this point whether the USB enclosure itself is the problem or it's the installed HDD. That's one of the problems with these commercial "one-piece" USBEHDs and one of the main reasons we always advise users NOT to purchase these devices; rather purchase a USB enclosure + HDD (or SSD) of their choice. The advantages of doing so far exceed that of purchasing these commercial products.

But, of course, it's too late for that now.

Since the USBEHD is detected in Device Manager, presumably you can test it with Seagate's diagnostic program - SeaTools. Have you done so?

Naturally we assume you've undertaken the usual troubleshooting steps in this type of problem, e.g., tried different USB ports, changed the USB connecting cable if one is available.

Hopefully you have another PC available for connectivity purposes.

Finally, if at all practical, remove the HDD from the enclosure and install it internally in the system. The poses another problem with these commercial products. It's difficult, if not impossible, to remove the drive from the enclosure without practically destroying the enclosure. And to make matters worse you frequently find that the drive's SATA data/power connectors are non-standard and can't be utilized internally in the PC. And, of course, you've voided the warranty, assuming it's still under warranty.