My Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) 2TB Driver, Just FAILED! GONE?!

maanonsen

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I have a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001, 2TB, @ 7200 RPM, with a 64MB Cache, in SATA format 3.5", Internal Hard Drive, a "Bare Bones (OEM) Drive".

I installed it, formatted it, and plugged it in via Sata, and am using it as a slave drive! Well, it worked perfectly and I moved a TON of data to it, all my C:\ files, on different occasions probably 3-4 times. The intent was so I could update my primary drive to an SSD drive. Two months later now, and the Drive is DEAD! And, I hope not, but possibly the loss of ALL my data?!

How? I was using the PC, and noticed that my Drive (D:\ slave) was missing in Explorer, I am running Win 7. So, I restarted the machine, waited forever for it to load, and it switched itself to CHKDSK and ran. However, before we got there, a message came up that said my first NTFS boot sector was not readable or corrupt, Reading second NTFS boot sector instead. Couple seconds after that, it then said ALL Boot sectors are unreadable or corrupt! Cannot continue.

The first thing I thought was BOOT sector? This is a SLAVE drive?! So, I restarted the machine again for a second time, CHKDSK came up and stating my file type was now RAW?!

I went to the Net, did some research, and investigated and found that there was a trial software made by EASEUS, that would work, stating it allows me to move my files, and then I could re-format the drive. I downloaded it and fired it up. The estimate, said 5 hrs to run, it was late so I went to bed, got up and went to the PC it check. The PC had shut down?! I started the machine again, and now I cannot even read the drive any longer, and the software does nothing? Where it used to state LOST DRIVES (1), it now stated LOST DRIVES (0)! I am beside myself! I did absolutely nothing and now my biggest FEAR is I may have lost this drive and more importantly ALL MY DATA?!! This is EXACTLY my reasoning for upgrading my primary to an SSD drive format to begin with, I had anothr drive fail some points.

I am therefore asking to see if anyone can help me in how I might solve this issue, I am lost here. Someone recommended trying DiskKeeper Pro? I got to tell you, I have had very limited success with any hard drive software working like that, however to monitor your Hard Drives, HDS (Hard Drive Sentinel) works great. Can anyone HELP me here? Thanks in advance,

maanonsen

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

Unacceptable! I will prevail, some how, lol. On the RMA, I let it sit on my desk for 5 months before installing it, so I'm sure that window of Opp., has passed, but i'll check it out, thanks.

dvs_xerxes

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Yeah if your drive is doing that, no software is going to help you, and diskeeper pro is not gonna help you since thats a defragging tool, the last thing you want to do is run a defragging tool on a failing or failed hdd.

In fact if your even considering a professional data service to recover your data. You should absolutely stop trying to run recovery software and using the drive, as it can make it harder for them to recover any data.

maanonsen

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I agree with anyone who may face this problem, less is more! If you encounter this problem - and I have always had my suspicions, software will most likely not be successful for you. That is, in four (4) drives I've had something like this happen, the more software I trtied the worse the drive got. I have one now that must be dealt with forensicly, no question. It went form a failed reading, to me starting with Windows repair on to Seatools for Windows from Seagate and now the drive gives loud clicks, and based on what others shared here, you know what that means! Forensic recovery & big bucks~and it was my promary drive with everything that I had failed to backup!

Oh this particular issue and drive, this solution may surprise you - I know it did me! Well, I decided to remove the drive from the PC. When I did, my computer was DEAD! I mean I swapped power supplies, and BIOS batteries, nothing. I replaced the power switch, nothing. In frustration, I bare bones this unit and took a refurbished Dell I had and moved all these components into that unit, turned it on and check disk ran for about 2 hours....I just left it alone.....and when I rebooted after it was done, VIOLA!! I had access to everything again, even the failed slave D;| drive?!! So, I now think perhaps I had a fialing motherboard giving false errors? It was Weird, that's all I can say.

I do however, want to thank everyone who replied to me. There is nothing more frustrating than being in a situation like that and no one will respond to you, so for that I am grateful and thank you.

maanonsen

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

TRENDING THREADS