Question My seagate expansion scsi disk device is showing in device manager but I can’t access it

Mar 21, 2020
I can’t access my seagate 4tb external hardrive. I have two connected to my computer, one works one does not. I’ve tried swapping the cables, ports etc, every time one drive works and the other doesn’t. I’ve tried restarting my pc, turning of the power completely, using all antivirus software, updating drivers, uninstalling the device from the computer, disabling it... nothing works. The one that works shows for 2 minutes in device manager then randomly disconnects and never shows in my file explorer?... I’m fairly sure I installed a windows update this morning too so I also uninstalled that as well. Anyone know what I can do? I’m worried it’s a hardware problem...

May 1, 2020
I'm having this same issue, right down to the point of having two drives attached, one of which still works, but mine has the added use of an old USB hub that may have helped fry the thing (I've seen other people complain of this same issue). The saddest part is that my hard drive contained a backup of another hard drive that died.

I was originally just having trouble getting it to show up in explorer, and I ran chkdsk on it. It said the file system type was RAW. I tried running EaseUS Data Recovery on it (that's how I made the first backup) but it got stuck at 9% with 2 hours and 19 minutes to go (the time remaining would decrease and then repeatedly go back up to that time) with 0 files discovered. Eventually, after fiddling with it long enough, even EaseUS refused to acknowledge its existence and I started getting the message “The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned ."

I'm going to conclude that this is a lost cause. Just give up.