Question My seagate external drive turned to local disk all of a sudden.

juzzie

Commendable
Nov 24, 2017
Hey,

I need help / advice / guidance even a spare genie's lamp if you have one please.

I was in the middle of saving some photos onto my Seagate 2TB backup plus portable HD when my file explorer suddenly lost connection to the drive. I moved USB ports and when it detected the drive again instead of my drive's name I saw 'local disk' and none of my data was on it.

I understand full recovery is most likely not going to happen at best but I want to give it a shot to recover -something- because sadly this drive was my never touch backup drive that I keep in storage so even one document rescued is something. I've used about 800GB of space on this thing. I'm on Windows 10.

I've tried looking for help online but I'm getting mixed messages which has left me confused, for example, one site says do a CHKDSK but then another says CHKDSK will kill it. One says do a CHKDSK /r and another says do a CHKDSK /f. One says it'll be quick another says it'll take days. One says toss it another says try to recover. :confused_old: confusing!

Should I run a CHKDSK /f or a CHKDSK /r or not run that at all?

Should I clone my drive? should I do this now or after a CHKDSK? or since it's listed as local disk is cloning a waste of time?

I don't know what to do here. Can someone please give me advice?

Unfortunately going to a technician is 100% not an option nor is buying software because I lost my job thanks to COVID19 (it's why this crashing isn't hurting as much as it should, just a year of sucking hard for me so use to it.) So any advice on free ways to try and recover data would help me.

Thank you :giggle:

EDIT: should mention that this was a total surprise, the drive is kept in a padded dry box in a dark dry cupboard that doesn't experience temperature swings when not used. When I do use it it's whisper quite. So it never gave me signs it was failing. It's about 16mths old and I've only used it maybe half a dozen times.

Last edited:

juzzie

Commendable
Nov 24, 2017
UPDATE: So I made a list on all the advice I could find and running a CHKDSK [driver name]: /f won as the most given in this situation so I'm running a admin CHKDSK [driver]:/f

It says I have a NTFS and at first the ETA was 8:50:00 but overnight it hit a bunch of "file segment [number, example 8073A] is unreadable" and now ETA is 121:27:30 lol The first 5-6hrs it didn't report unreadable segments so I'm hopeful I can salvage something.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts