Question My second moniter has begun splitting the screen with bottom on top & vice versa

Sep 25, 2020
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop hooked up to my 2018/2019, 55", Element tv. While the tv does not support all the resolution settings available on the laptop it's always been able to use a few of them, but only 2 that allow use of the full tv screen without any of the display going off the edge - much. There has always been a tiny bit at the bottom lost, like if you have Firefox open and in maximized mode, half the status bar at the bottom of that window is "over the edge."

Last night i began trying different resolution settings to see if I could find one that allowed things to fit perfectly. Bad idea. I've done this before - several times over the last year and a half - for various reasons. This time though it came back with the screen split. Bottom on top and top on bottom.

Continuing to try different resolution settings only increased one half of the split, either top or bottom, giving me hope that I could make the display "work its way back" to normal. Didn't work. In fact it stopped noticeably affecting the size of the split at all after a few tries. Yet, somehow, it eventually responded to a resolution setting with the picture back the way it's always been before, only now it's on another setting.

So, okay, I can live with that and just leave it alone. But it seems to be a new game for it now. This morning when I turned it on it was back to being split and it took several tries of various resolution settings to once again get it back to normal.

BTW: THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ON THE LAPTOP'S BUILT-IN MONITOR. EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE THERE. IT'S JUST THE TV THAT'S MESSING UP.

I've tried going through the various options under the tv's settings menus but can't find anything that affects the split. When I change input back to broadcast tv it's normal again.

Any ideas?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS