[SOLVED] My selfbuild computer is very slow but the specs are good

Apr 15, 2020
My Selfbuild computer is very slow. I dont know when it started to be excact but now its just horrible. Long bootups, my workprogram is slow, everything takes a long time and I cant game anymore. It used to be a beast for me but now its not doable anymore. I dont know where the problem lies so I would really appreciate your help. Thank you! here are the specs. Everything should be up to date so I am clueless

Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz 31 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology

RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1473MHz (17-18-18-36)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170 PRO GAMING (LGA1151)

Graphics
Q32G1WG4 (2560x1440@59Hz)
PHILIPS FTV (2560x1440@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 530 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI) 36 °C
ForceWare version: 441.87
SLI Disabled

Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA) 31 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 35 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD Elements 10B8 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 34 °C
4657GB Western Digital WD Elements 25A3 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 26 °C
931GB Western Digital WD Elements 10A8 USB Device (USB (SATA))

Solution
Perhaps you can drop down to just the SSD(hopefully your OS drive anyway), disconnect all other storage, and test as is? (I've seen failing storage bring systems down to a standstill, as there are many reads occurring in the background, and, bad /failing sectors can drag the entire rig down with numerous retries in reading; even a bad freshly formatted drive can still drag a rig down, I"ve seen it personally a few times when testing a customer's 2.5" laptop drive in a SATA docking bay....
Hi, and welcome ot the forum

When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows?

Can you post a screnshoot of the task manager, to see if there are any process taxing the CPu too much.

If youre booting up from the Samsung SSD 850 EVO, booting shouldnt take much longer than about 15 seconds.

Im guessing you have a trashed Windows installations or theres some virus, or something messing your drivers.

- Have you tired anything to fix the problem or see if it does any good?

- For instance, what happend if you unplug all those USB drives?

- What kind of troubleshooting have you done already ?

Reactions: MilanMoana
Apr 15, 2020
You have 3 monitors, 2 plugged into your GPU and one plugged into your motherboard and CPU's iGPU correct? Yeah, most likely your Intel graphics drivers and Nvidia drivers are fighting over your monitors. Recently Microsoft I think has been distributing the DCH drivers for Nvidia but intel's are still the standard or something like that, anyway, I had the same issue and had to basically do a full clean install and disable the IGPX port in my BIOS and not use the port so the Intel drivers don't get loaded by Microsoft. I'm up and running now with both displays plugged into my Nvidia card and it seems to be working better than ever.

Apr 15, 2020
You have 3 monitors, 2 plugged into your GPU and one plugged into your motherboard and CPU's iGPU correct? Yeah, most likely your Intel graphics drivers and Nvidia drivers are fighting over your monitors. Recently Microsoft I think has been distributing the DCH drivers for Nvidia but intel's are still the standard or something like that, anyway, I had the same issue and had to basically do a full clean install and disable the IGPX port in my BIOS and not use the port so the Intel drivers don't get loaded by Microsoft. I'm up and running now with both displays plugged into my Nvidia card and it seems to be working better than ever.

Thanks, but what a mess urghh. I can't do a clean install. Busy job and to reinstall everything i would need an intern because I would have to install 300 libraries again which is a pain haha. But the monitors are problem. I am going to see if thats the case. thanks

Apr 15, 2020

Well its the monitor ussue. Unbelievable. My Nvidia driver was totally out of the picture. I could have seen that on my task manager but i was clueless. Thanks a lot! My many USBports is also a big slow maker problem but thats another thing. Thanks a lot!!!!! Bless the internet

Perhaps you can drop down to just the SSD(hopefully your OS drive anyway), disconnect all other storage, and test as is? (I've seen failing storage bring systems down to a standstill, as there are many reads occurring in the background, and, bad /failing sectors can drag the entire rig down with numerous retries in reading; even a bad freshly formatted drive can still drag a rig down, I"ve seen it personally a few times when testing a customer's 2.5" laptop drive in a SATA docking bay....

Solution
Apr 15, 2020

yeah os is ofcourse on the SSD :p but getting 5 tb on a ssd would be my financial death. I would like to have everything on one drive tho or everyting internal but I need my externals for travel so thats why i also hook them up on my rig. But yeah, i disconnected everything and yeah its fast again. definitely an error somewhere in my externals hmmmm..........

yeah os is ofcourse on the SSD :p but getting 5 tb on a ssd would be my financial death. I would like to have everything on one drive tho or everyting internal but I need my externals for travel so thats why i also hook them up on my rig. But yeah, i disconnected everything and yeah its fast again. definitely an error somewhere in my externals hmmmm..........

As I mention in my post, this is the first thing anyone should test, external usb drives resources allocation can really harm a system, no matter how fast or new the system is.

You can now try using one external drive at the time, maybe 1 of them have a problem or a driver issue.