[SOLVED] My setup can run 144 hz display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2020
Hi guys my setup:
I7 4790k
16gb ram
GTX 970
750w

I play fortnite, everything on low settings, I would like to know if it's worth it to buy a 144hz monitor. Thank you guys.

Solution
PCPartPicker is a great resource for this. I've narrowed down most of the perimeters to fit what you're looking for, but feel free to adjust them as you see fit. I've sorted it from lowest to highest price - (Link)

What you should adjust:

• Your maximum price range
  • Whether or not you want a curved display
  • Screen size
  • Panel type (VA has much better visuals but TN has a little better performance)
  • Interface type (select the ports that your GPU has)

What you shouldn't adjust:

• Ratings (5 star is highly recommended, but 0 stars just means there's no reviews on PCPartPicker. Check reviews from other retailers to be sure)
  • Minimum price range (setting it to 0 adds items to the list that...
Someone started a similar thread here.

TL;DR yes, you should be able to run Fortnite on a 144Hz monitor using that graphics card, but will be limited to the lower quality settings. It looks like you'll see an average FPS of about 100.

What's your current monitor's Hz rating?

Reactions: Oblio93
Feb 13, 2020
Someone started a similar thread here.

TL;DR yes, you should be able to run Fortnite on a 144Hz monitor using that graphics card, but will be limited to the lower quality settings. It looks like you'll see an average FPS of about 100.

What's your current monitor's Hz rating?
I'm actually playing on 60hz and I get 120/144 fps man.

While your stats might show that you're getting up to 144fps, it's your GPU that's producing those numbers. Your display is really only showing 60. This is better explained in this thread, but basically while you're only truly seeing 60fps, it will seem a lot smoother due to the lowered latency/input lag between the screen and your peripherals.

However, the GPU pushing more fps than the monitor is capable of showing can also lead to image tearing. If this is a problem you're experiencing, then yes, I'd recommend investing in a 144Hz monitor, if you have the budget for it.

Feb 13, 2020
While your stats might show that you're getting up to 144fps, it's your GPU that's producing those numbers. Your display is really only showing 60. This is better explained in this thread, but basically while you're only truly seeing 60fps, it will seem a lot smoother due to the lowered latency/input lag between the screen and your peripherals.

However, the GPU pushing more fps than the monitor is capable of showing can also lead to image tearing. If this is a problem you're experiencing, then yes, I'd recommend investing in a 144Hz monitor, if you have the budget for it.
If I put everything on low I don't get image tearing. But if I try to get something on medium and maybe v-sync and those options I have an entire bar 3 cm of the screen sfocated.. Man I seriously thank you for the time you spent answering to me, I really appreciate it! I have a question if I can.. May you suggest me a good monitor, with a good rateo money/performance? 24 I think is the best for gaming. Can you please?

PCPartPicker is a great resource for this. I've narrowed down most of the perimeters to fit what you're looking for, but feel free to adjust them as you see fit. I've sorted it from lowest to highest price - (Link)

What you should adjust:

• Screen size
  • Panel type (VA has much better visuals but TN has a little better performance)

• Ratings (5 star is highly recommended, but 0 stars just means there's no reviews on PCPartPicker. Check reviews from other retailers to be sure)
  • Minimum price range (setting it to 0 adds items to the list that aren't in stock anywhere)
  • Resolution (1920x1080 is ideal for that card)
  • Refresh rate
  • Response time (Crucial for this to be as low as possible)
  • Color (not every entry has the color specified, meaning you wont see every item available if selected)
  • Built in speakers (unless they're an absolute necessity for you, keep it on "All". Monitors with built in speakers can have them disabled if you use eternal audio sources)
  • VESA Mounting (same with color, except most monitors are missing this information. If you want to see if a monitor is VESA mountable, check the manufacture page)

As far as G-Sync / FreeSync goes: supposedly GPUs with G-Sync (an Nvidia program, like your GTX 970) can use that feature with a monitor that has FreeSync (an AMD program). This isn't guaranteed though, and there's no way to tell if it will work until you try enabling it.

Solution
Feb 13, 2020

What you should adjust:

• Screen size

• Minimum price range (setting it to 0 adds items to the list that aren't in stock anywhere)
  • Refresh rate
  • Color (not every entry has the color specified, meaning you wont see every item available if selected)
  • Built in speakers (unless they're an absolute necessity for you, keep it on "All". Monitors with built in speakers can have them disabled if you use eternal audio sources)
  • VESA Mounting (same with color, except most monitors are missing this information. If you want to see if a monitor is VESA mountable, check the manufacture page)

As far as G-Sync / FreeSync goes: supposedly GPUs with G-Sync (an Nvidia program, like your GTX 970) can use that feature with a monitor that has FreeSync (an AMD program). This isn't guaranteed though, and there's no way to tell if it will work until you try enabling it.
Dude thank you so much that was so helpfull! I appreciate that! You are great 💪🏼 now I know what to do thanks to you 😊 have a good day and thank you again 🙏🏼

Feb 13, 2020

What you should adjust:

• Screen size

• Refresh rate
Dude sorry last thing, better led or LCD? I have Nvidia so should I skip monitors with amd freesync?

Dude sorry last thing, better led or LCD? I have Nvidia so should I skip monitors with amd freesync?
No, you shouldn't skip over freesync monitors. Most, if not all, quality freesync monitors will support gsync. Even if they are not on nvidia official compatibility list. Getting a freesync monitor vs a gsync will usually save you a bit of cash. As well as leaving options open for an AMD card upgrade in the future, if you need a gpu upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.