Question My setup will no longer run fortnite without significant frame drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2019
Setup:
I7-6700k 4ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-wifi mITX
hyperx fury 16gb RAM
850 pro 256 ssd
GTX 970 4gb
250d mITX corsair case
EVGA 650w PSU

Have put settings to low and tried multiple things like enabling vsync to smooth out the drops...however, the frame drop is from 144 to 7 to 60 to 80 back up etc. Also used to run Fortnite on ultra settings with 144FPS no problem.

Issue: there is an issue when everything is installed in the case on the standoffs. I have to fold cardboard up and place under the gpu portion for it to actually boot up.

Everything runs fine outside the case but haven't tried to play a game with it outside. Have ran the pc without gpu in case and it works fine. Something about the weight of the full gpu on the mobo causes the connectors to not be fully in?(But i can still play games etc. how it is just huge frame drops) Mobo is seated properly and fully.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

<Snip>
Issue: there is an issue when everything is installed in the case on the standoffs. I have to fold cardboard up and place under the gpu portion for it to actually boot up.

<Snip>
Mobo is seated properly and fully.
If you have to use folded cardboard then no, the motherboard is NOT seated properly and fully. You are either missing a standoff or otherwise improperly mounted the motherboard. Are you using the standoffs that came with the case or were they obtained elsewhere?

Nov 26, 2019
If you have to use folded cardboard then no, the motherboard is NOT seated properly and fully. You are either missing a standoff or otherwise improperly mounted the motherboard. Are you using the standoffs that came with the case or were they obtained elsewhere?

oh yes the standoffs are the same and the mobo is lined up properly and secured to each standoff. And yes the gpu is secured via the two screws provided for assisting the mobo in the weight.

Working on a replacement with corsair, maybe theyll send me a new case. Also looking into other mini itx cases that might do better with the weight of the full gpu

Nov 26, 2019
Question:

Is there any difference between having the case vertical vs. horizontal?

What I am trying to determine here if this is an angular stress issue (sagging due to weight) or if there is an electrical issue.

I could try and put it on its side but the case isnt made for that
The mobo does bend some under the weight but its an mITX board it should withstand the stress, right?

Also I have tried to overclock and the same issue of frame drops exists. I really hope its just the mobo malfunctioning, but don't wanna throw a good one out too.

Update: Tried running on side and it made no difference, im beginning to think its the gpu. Cleaned ram and double checked connections, still not better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.