Question My single-thread score shows lower

Oct 25, 2022
Hi,

I recently bought Ryzen 7 5800x3d, ASUS Rog Strix B550 Gaming Wifi II, 32 gb DDR4 3600mhz ram and 1 TB Nvme. I installed my PC and setup windows 11. I had a bench test right after windows setup and it gave me the best result. It's been two weeks now and I've installed a lot of games, other softwared. Almost occupied half of my nvme already. I recently had another bench test but it gives me a score around 605-610, which is almost 50 points lower than before. I am curious what made that difference? Could the games and other softwares have caused this? I checked my memory frequency and it shows normal performance. I'd appreciate if you gave me an idea.

Thanks,

4745454b

Titan
What do you mean by bench test? What program are you using?

As SSDs fill up, they tend to run slower. TLC and above use the first layer as a cache, so when that fills up with data it has to use the "deeper" cells for cache. This will make the drive slower. Depending on the test you are using that could be why it's 50 points slower. But without knowing which test I can't say for sure.

Oct 25, 2022
What do you mean by bench test? What program are you using?

As SSDs fill up, they tend to run slower. TLC and above use the first layer as a cache, so when that fills up with data it has to use the "deeper" cells for cache. This will make the drive slower. Depending on the test you are using that could be why it's 50 points slower. But without knowing which test I can't say for sure.

I thought I mentioned that. I've been using CPU-Z. it has bench test under Bench section. That section gives you both single thread and multi thread scores for your CPU. It was around 660 when I installed windows 11, then it got down to 610. You got a point, half of my nvme is occupied. That's why I'm guessing my single & multi thread went down.

4745454b

Titan
Could always throw win10 on a new partition and see if it goes back up. You might just have more background tasks running now that you have stuff on it. Make sure you have a fresh boot with as much turned off?

If you do try a fresh install of windows, make sure to remove your drive with your current build so it doesn't confuse anything.

Oct 25, 2022
I have the same cpu and do 612 single core, although with W10 , so see no issues. Might indeed have been how fresh the install was with the first outcome.

That was a useful information really. So my current single core is not that unusual, since I've also installed a lot of programs and games on my nvme. So it's very normal.

Reactions: Vic 40
Oct 25, 2022
Could always throw win10 on a new partition and see if it goes back up. You might just have more background tasks running now that you have stuff on it. Make sure you have a fresh boot with as much turned off?

If you do try a fresh install of windows, make sure to remove your drive with your current build so it doesn't confuse anything.

I disable everything running in the background. Cpu and memory drops to the bottom level. I think it's because my nvme is half full. I still have better fps than my previous FPS, so I don't think there's an issue about the hardware or software.