Nov 19, 2015
This is the computer I built my son almost 2 years ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gmRjt6

Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte - GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Dell 27 LED QHD GSync Monitor Black

He now thinks he may want to upgrade his processor. He plays primarily Overwatch, Fortnite, Dota.
He streams games, so that's where he thinks he'll benefit from more cores (currently at 4 cores).

I'm not looking to replace the motherboard if possible.

So, I'm looking for ideas on what is the best performance boost CPU i can put into that motherboard without breaking the bank? or maybe, what's the best one, and then what's the most reasonable one?

Or is a graphics card update going to help more?

thanks for any help!

Solution

generally 7700k/7600k has better silicon quality than 6700k/6600k due to improved process but IMHO it comes back down to silicon lottery. the difference isn't big enough for me to upgrade from skylake to kabylake

you're better off skipping kabylake to go for coffeelake or clake refresh

WildCard999

Titan
Getting a 6700(K)/7700(K) would help but I'd look in the used market as the new prices are too high considering there are better CPUs out there (Coffeelake/Coffeelake Refresh coming October-ish), those though do require a newer motherboard.

If it hasn't been doen yet I'd overclock that 6600K as far as it will safely go and see if that helps before spending the extra money.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
IMHO, you already got a 6600K, so it comes down to silicon lottery..... If you got a good chip keep it and keep using it... otherwise sell the cpu+mb so you can buy a coffee lake set

I'd hold off for now and wait till refresh is released, and try to get a used coffee lake i7 + z370.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would not personally spend that kind of money towards a part with a minimal bit more power than what you have. Typically it isn't worthwhile to upgrade Intel more often than around 4 generations apart.
TBH, that 970 isn't a bad card either. With the release of the '20' cards most folks are either taking a wait and see attitude, or picking up a nice 10xx card for a deal...the 70 and 80 series can be had for a song right now. I am not honestly sure I would do that upgrade either. A 1070 would be a little better than what you currently have. A 1080 would likely be right on the edge of bottleneck on the current proc. According to what resolution, might not even 'need' it.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

generally 7700k/7600k has better silicon quality than 6700k/6600k due to improved process but IMHO it comes back down to silicon lottery. the difference isn't big enough for me to upgrade from skylake to kabylake

you're better off skipping kabylake to go for coffeelake or clake refresh

Solution

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I think the one thing that needs to be asked that doesn't seem to have been done yet is.... why? Is your son experiencing problems ? If so , what are those problems? Unless you have a lot of money, as a parent I would want to know WHY I am doing the upgrades. What gap is the upgrade going to fix? How much are you willing to spend to fix the problem that your son identifies?

Reactions: King_V

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

well the 4/4 chips are a bit lacking in threads if games are being streamed. a lot more games are optimized for 4+ threads thanks to new cpu's. might still do its job without streaming. I've experienced some hiccups in PUBG since a couple patches ago with my skylake 6600K but on my 5960X it is smooth as butter

i launch hwinfo on a separate monitor when I game, and I'm seeing more threads being utilized since a few patches ago

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Yeah I just want to make sure his kid isn't reacting to a virus or something before he lays down hundreds of dollars.

At first I was thinking "Oh wow, that's a great system, why upgrade..." then I read the part about streaming. An i7 6700k or 7700k is the next step. You want those extra threads for streaming.

It's seems kind of drastic to buy a new motherboard and Coffee lake CPU, it's not like his current platform is outdated, especially not for his use.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
About $1000, using your existing storage devices, less if you re-use the power supply.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($107.62 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1059.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-16 16:05 EDT-0400

Status
Not open for further replies.