My Sound Card only works after a reboot

mattm_15

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello everyone I recently finished building my new PC.
Here are some of the Specs...

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
ASUS P8Z68-V LE ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 025-P3-1579-AR Video Card
ASUS Xonar D1 Sound Card
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" MLC
Antec Nine Hundred Black Computer Case
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s

I am having problems with the Asus Xonar D1 Sound Card. Whenever I turn my computer on from a cold shutdown the sound doesn't work, but If I restart my computer after I turn it on then the sound will work. I can't figure out why this is happening! I tried switching it to the PCI slot that is closest to the video card because I had a suggestion from someone that might fix the problem but that didn't do anything :( Also I can hear the soundcard make a clicking noise when the computer starts but I heard that is normal because it's the sound of switching relay and it stops your speakers/subwoofer being blown up by overvoltage. I have made sure my onboard audio is disabled in bios and windows and used driver sweeper to make sure the onboard audio drivers are totally cleaned off the computer. I have installed the newest Asus drivers from the website in safe mode as well. I also noticed that 2 days ago I was playing around in Audacity(Recording software) and I heard the soundcard do the clicking noise. The next time I did a startup from a cold shutdown the sound worked right away that time. But soon after that it went back to normal. Please help.

mattm_15

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Ok. I tried doing that and that didn't work:( I have discovered that when I turn on the computer and the sound isn't working I can go into the device manager and disable the sound card and re-enable it and then it will start working again. So I still have no idea why this is happening. Someone please help!

kamillo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Try to use ASUS XONAR Unified Drivers 1.60
useful links:
http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/
http://brainbit.wordpress.com/uni-xonar-faq-troubleshooting-guide/

I had same problem like you, then i install Uni drivers with C-Media front panel option and it works.
After install i saw in C-Media panel that analog and digital spdif outputs are on at the same time. I simply disabled spdif and no problem with my D1 card.

I have ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 motherboard and ASUS D1 card.

I hope it helps you.

kamillo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
mmm...problem dissapeard only for couple of minuts and some restarts and shutdowns. Now same situations...no sound.
Maybe mobo have problem with PCI slots. With my previous rig with Gigabyte 880GMA-ud2h mobo hadn't that issue.

mattm_15

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I ended up trying the old drivers that came with the CD and for some weird reason that fixed my problem. The old drivers on the CD worked and the updated drivers on the website didn't work. Strange. But it works for me now so I can't complain

kamillo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I agree with mattm_15. Older drivers solved problem.
In the other hand Uni Xonar drivers provide better sound quality but still sometimes have no sound after reboot or shutdown.