[SOLVED] My sound for any Steam game becomes significantly quieter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaxus

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
My PC audio, whether it be watching Netflix, YouTube, or anything unrelated to Steam games, is perfectly normal. At 100% max volume, it's loud, clear, and all the above. However, when I open a Steam game and play it, such as CSGO or Rust, the volume sounds so quiet (when compared to it before). My volume in-game for CSGO was 34% (via in-game menu ofc) (before the volume became quiet all of a sudden one day) and it was still loud with bass-clarity - present day, at 34% I cannot hear a single thing as it is too quiet/soft.

My headset is a Razer Kraken 7.1 V1 (not V2) and it works perfectly on another computer (tested it with CSGO, sound was loud and clear so it must be something with my PC).
I tried reinstalling all drivers, doing all that shazam but nothing seemed to work.

The audio ONLY seems to be quiet for Steam games from what I observed, everything else (whether a Steam game is open or not) works perfectly

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Solution
Won't work, How are you going to uninstall an update that is no longer available. Try updating your fixes.

Looking for a fix for in-game sound issues and this will no longer work as a "fix".

No longer "SOLVED"
At the time, this update was the culprit. After uninstalling it, sound went back to normal

Malaxus

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
stick with 1 thread
Out of no where, games with surround sound (even though I don't use it) such as CSGO, Rust, and Siege, all became very quiet out of no where (in terms of volume/audio), causing me to put both my PC and game master volume to 100% for me to remotely hear. Games like TF2 and Gmod, however, are perfectly normal in sound.

What could be the cause of this? I uninstalled, reinstalled Realtek drivers, did all that - even tested out my headset on another computer = the games with surround sound worked perfectly and were much louder than my audio (on my PC) at the same settings.

PC audio including Windows SFX, YouTube, all that works perfectly, regardless if a game is open or not.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

Jun 17, 2020
The fix is uninstalling "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4515384)."

Won't work, How are you going to uninstall an update that is no longer available. Try updating your fixes.

Looking for a fix for in-game sound issues and this will no longer work as a "fix".

No longer "SOLVED"

Malaxus

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017

No longer "SOLVED"
At the time, this update was the culprit. After uninstalling it, sound went back to normal

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.