[SOLVED] My specs are good enough but games still won't work as they should

Mar 22, 2020
Most games I play I have a hard time even getting over 80 fps and this being on medium/high settings. Changing settings between ultra to low is not making a huge difference, at max 10 fps difference.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6400
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3400 MHz
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A
PSU: Corsair VS550, 550 W

Games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare is unplayable, i have 20-30 fps at most and they are extremely unstable. Even Fortnite on the lowest settings is reaching 80-90 fps at max.
CPU usage whilst playing is always around 80-100% but the core temperatures are at around 50-60 degrees Celsius.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I go by the manufacturer's specs.

Not vendors: all too often the vendor's specs are just cloned from a previous model and there are "typo's".

As for manufacturer's they often determine the specs using ideal conditions that are not representative of real world use.

Or use some creative Marketing speak or terminology that is dubious at best and downright wrong at worst.

Overall the manufacturer's seem to be covering themselves by recommending some generous amount of PSU wattage.

If you have GPU problems (for whatever reason) a less than recommended wattage PSU makes the problem yours.

Not theirs.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Most games I play I have a hard time even getting over 80 fps and this being on medium/high settings. Changing settings between ultra to low is not making a huge difference, at max 10 fps difference.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6400
GPU: Radeon RX 480 4GB
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3400 MHz
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A
PSU: Corsair VS550, 550 W

Games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare is unplayable, i have 20-30 fps at most and they are extremely unstable. Even Fortnite on the lowest settings is reaching 80-90 fps at max.
CPU usage whilst playing is always around 80-100% but the core temperatures are at around 50-60 degrees Celsius.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's very much expected from Intel 6th Gen and graphics card from few years ago
My recommendation is upgrade your system either cpu and mobo or gpu

Mar 22, 2020
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use only one at a time) to observe system performance.

First while not gaming and second while gaming.

Look for bottlenecks and what app is demanding a bottlenecked resource.
I played some Rainbow Six Siege and my CPU usage was as usual 90-100%. Whilst not playing it was at 20%
My GPU usage was fluctuating between 0-100%

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
It's very much expected from Intel 6th Gen and graphics card from few years ago
My recommendation is upgrade your system either cpu and mobo or gpu
I was looking at upgrading either GPU or CPU, maybe both but I was reluctant at the daunting task of installing and buying the necessary parts.

Ralston18

Titan
Before doing anything tally up the wattage requirements for your system.

Add up the wattage recommended for each component. If a wattage range is provided use the high end value.

For a GPU use the manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage.

Once you have the wattages added up add 25% more.

How close is that final wattage total to 550?

There are also online power calculators to help with making such calculations. Work through two or three of them to establish some consensus with respect to the needed wattage.

If your Corsair 550 is 2-3 years old and/or been used for heavy gaming it may be nearing its' designed EOL (End of Life). Simply put, it may no longer be able to keep up with the necessary power demands of the computer.

Mar 22, 2020
Before doing anything tally up the wattage requirements for your system.

Add up the wattage recommended for each component. If a wattage range is provided use the high end value.

For a GPU use the manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage.

Once you have the wattages added up add 25% more.

How close is that final wattage total to 550?

There are also online power calculators to help with making such calculations. Work through two or three of them to establish some consensus with respect to the needed wattage.

If your Corsair 550 is 2-3 years old and/or been used for heavy gaming it may be nearing its' designed EOL (End of Life). Simply put, it may no longer be able to keep up with the necessary power demands of the computer.
I added my usage up on 4 different calculator sites and they all fell under 400 watt expect for one site, where it went to 430 watt. It might be that my PSU is getting old (3-4 years) and that I need to upgrade most of my rig.

Mar 22, 2020
Wattage total seems low.

400 watts before or after adding 25% more?

The GPU's recommended PSU wattage is 500 watts just by itself.

Reference:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-480

Do verify that I correctly matched the GPU.

In any case, the PSU is (in my mind) a key suspect.
This is the GPU http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-XFX/Radeon_RX_480_RS_4GB_-_RX-480P4LFB6.html but I can't seem to find it on their own website however...
According to this page the usage is 120 W

Ralston18

Titan
I go by the manufacturer's specs.

Not vendors: all too often the vendor's specs are just cloned from a previous model and there are "typo's".

As for manufacturer's they often determine the specs using ideal conditions that are not representative of real world use.

Or use some creative Marketing speak or terminology that is dubious at best and downright wrong at worst.

Overall the manufacturer's seem to be covering themselves by recommending some generous amount of PSU wattage.

If you have GPU problems (for whatever reason) a less than recommended wattage PSU makes the problem yours.

Not theirs.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS