[SOLVED] My Specs are high so why do my games run poorly?

Bad Skiddy

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Hello all, I'm new here so know that I'm still a PC noob. I believe this would be the best place to post.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
RAM: Patriot Viper Series 32GB DDR4 3200MHz (However Speccy is coming up with this : 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1069MHz (15-15-15-36))
MB: ASUS STRIX Z270E GAMING (LGA1151)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD / 2TB Seagate ST2000DM HDD/ Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Monitor: BenQ EW277HDR (1920x1080@60Hz)

So I've built a (relatively) new PC, the only thing transferred from the old one was my 2TB HDD and my blu-ray drive. The main point of this PC was to play the current Gen games at very high or ultra settings, especially with Cyberpunk on the way and as a work station for editing and creative software. All I'm looking for is 1080p 60fps.

And yet Games like GTAV and MGSV seem to be running poorly and taking a look on Game Debate, I should be hitting those benchmarks above and yet i'm going down to the 20s in FPS. Deep Rock Galactic, Lethal League, even the original Binding of Issac is acting up.

I'm running Windows 7 (yes, I know) Ultimate on my new 1TB SSD as well as the rest of my programs. My HDD or D: has all of my games, music, videos, pictures etc. It's just a big storage thing, but I realized as soon as I transferred it over to the new PC it takes longer to load up, images take longer to pop up in my Pictures and the Downloads sections than it did with my old PC. It slowed down noticeably, I don't know if something happened during the transfer, I don't know if it's because of space filling up (180GB left), but it seems that everything is slower.

Recently I've tried fixing some initial building errors and made some changes to try and improve performance. Things like moving my GPU from the PCIE x8 slot to x16, updating my geforce drivers and defragmenting my HDD. No change as far as I can tell.

Any help will be appreciated.

A couple of other things you probably should know and I need help with:
  • I can't seem to identify and find my M.2 SSD on my Computer and even on BIOS.
  • This is my first time using water cooling for a CPU and I don't know if I set it up correctly, This CPU seems to be running a little hotter than my 212 EVO Cooler from my last build.
  • Is there any way to ease fan speed up and down instead of it jumping to full speed on and off on and off? It's really unnerving and I fear that my CPU is gonna cook itself every time it happens.
  • Windows 7 initially was locked out from updates on this motherboard so I looked to Github and installed something called wufuc which would basically unlock Windows Update. I don't think this would cause anything to go wrong.

Solution
slow(er) HD:
check your Windows Power Options profile. if it set with any type of power saving options enabled it could be that the HD has to "wake up" first when accessing any of the data located on it.
are there still any system partitions located on the HD from your previous build? if Windows is still using them it can significantly slow down your boot time vs having all Windows system partitions on the SSD.

CPU cooler's fan curve profile & temps:
what cooler are you using and what software to control it?
also, what case are you using and how are it's fans setup?

RAM speeds:
how have you set the manufacturer specified speed & timings? through an XMP profile or manually?

make sure your motherboard BIOS and drivers...
slow(er) HD:
check your Windows Power Options profile. if it set with any type of power saving options enabled it could be that the HD has to "wake up" first when accessing any of the data located on it.
are there still any system partitions located on the HD from your previous build? if Windows is still using them it can significantly slow down your boot time vs having all Windows system partitions on the SSD.

CPU cooler's fan curve profile & temps:
what cooler are you using and what software to control it?
also, what case are you using and how are it's fans setup?

RAM speeds:
how have you set the manufacturer specified speed & timings? through an XMP profile or manually?

make sure your motherboard BIOS and drivers are all updated to the latest versions your OS will support.

Solution