Question My SSD and HDD got damaged in 2 months interval

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
I am listing the events happened with my PC synchronously:
  • Two months ago, my desktop PC was taking long press of power button to boot. Posted about it here. And 4 days later, OS crashed and I found that extra cooling fan wasn't spinning.
  • Switched the power cable of that fan and it started spinning again. But, found that the SSD (boot drive) got corrupted and wasn't even able to run S.M.A.R.T on that SSD (Its age was only 10 months).
  • Installed the OS in the HDD and installed a new PSU. Also, upgraded the BIOS to the latest one.
  • Still long press issue existed. Swapped the power button with RESET button. And "long press to boot" issue was gone!
  • Everything was running smoothly until yesterday. PC boot into BIOS and shows no device in SATA port. Switched the SATA power cable and data cable of HDD and nothing happened. Also, I touched HDD and felt that it wasn't spinning. May be it got damaged too.
May be these events are unrelated or may be not. But, in 2 months both of my boot drives (SSD 1st and now HDD) got damaged/corrupted. What could be the possible reason(s)? Can't fully blame PSU as I have bought a brand new PSU in between these two damaging events. Could this be MoBo or something else?

Please, any help is much appreciated.

Configuration:

MoBo: MSI H100M Pro-VD
Processor: Intel Core i5 6500, 3.2 GHz x4
RAM: G.Skill 8 GB 2400 MHz
SSD: Transcend 230S, 128 GB (damaged 1st)
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM (damaged 2nd)
GPU: Intel HD 530 (Internal)
PSU: ValueTop 200W (new), Space 400W (built-in, previously)

Pic of the bottom panel of the HDD:
HDD2.jpg

DSzymborski

Titan
It's quite unusual to see someone having problems with a junk PSU successfully resolve the issue by purchasing an even more horrifying junk PSU. It can't even provide 100W of +12V power.

It's hard to say if replacing will directly solve the issue as the parts could have been damaged these things connected to your parts. But PSUs of such notably poor quality are a complicating factor in making any diagnosis and these of such poor quality that it's not really worthwhile to even look at other issues until they've been replaced. Ideally by something significantly better this time (I can't imagine you'd actually find something worse).

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
I think I see the problem.

I can't disagree totally with you. Two PSUs might have damaged two storage devices. But, the reason I bought a 200W PSU was to diagnose the "long press to boot" issue. For diagnosis, purchasing a costly one didn't seem like a good idea to me.
But, if the PSUs were faulty, then why only the boot drives got corrupted in both cases? It could be other parts of the PC. Thanks for you reply.

USAFRet

Titan
I can't disagree totally with you. Two PSUs might have damaged two storage devices. But, the reason I bought a 200W PSU was to diagnose the "long press to boot" issue. For diagnosis, purchasing a costly one didn't seem like a good idea to me.
But, if the PSUs were faulty, then why only the boot drives got corrupted in both cases? It could be other parts of the PC. Thanks for you reply.
The 1st PSU may have damaged the motherboard.
Which in turn damaged the drive.
And then damaged the second drive.

Damage caused by a janky PSU is not a binary thing....Working/not working.
Electricity follows strange pathways.

But replacing crap with even worse crap, is not a fix or proper diagnostic technique.

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
It's quite unusual to see someone having problems with a junk PSU successfully resolve the issue by purchasing an even more horrifying junk PSU. It can't even provide 100W of +12V power.

It's hard to say if replacing will directly solve the issue as the parts could have been damaged these things connected to your parts. But PSUs of such notably poor quality are a complicating factor in making any diagnosis and these of such poor quality that it's not really worthwhile to even look at other issues until they've been replaced. Ideally by something significantly better this time (I can't imagine you'd actually find something worse).

I replaced the PSU with a cheap one just for diagnosis purpose. And found that, PSUs didn't cause the problem of "long press to boot". I cleaned the MobO with alcohol and swapped power button and got it fixed.

Even if I consider PSUs corrupting the boot devices, could this be MoBo too? Because, why always the boot devices getting corrupted? The HDD was there previously, only the SSD (boot device) got corrupted that time. I heard that some MSI MoBos have power controller issues. Could this be the reason?

Thanks for your reply.

DSzymborski

Titan
There are myriad causes of such issues, some directly caused by a bad PSU, some indirectly, and some unrelated. A junk PSU isn't a diagnostic tool; you should never use a tool as a diagnostic tool when it has a high probability of making the problem worse. The PSU issue is such a problem that it's just not worth looking further until it's resolved.

Reactions: blackernel

blackernel

Prominent
Jul 6, 2021
Update to the issue:
Today, while troubleshooting the HDD, shaked it a bit out of frustration (obviously for some moderately important data) and connected to MoBo and PC booted up completely normally!! I backed up some data and used it for several hours without any issues.
Then after shutting down and restarting later, it's the same now. HDD not spinning again.

Ralston18

Titan
A loose/bad connection somewhere.

Likely in the PSU....

The responses thus far makes me think that you need to install a known working rated PSU of sufficient wattage and quality.

As for the Power Switch and Reset switches: what make and model case?

Electricity also flows through the switches. Possibly "took out" the Power Switch first and then the Reset Switch thereafter....

Connectors and pinouts matter.